Texas Instruments (TI) announced the SN65HVD888 low-power, half-duplex RS-485 transceiver. The device features fast automatic bus-polarity correction time and is ideal for industrial applications like e-metering networks, DMX512 networks, industrial automation, HVAC systems and process control. The TI SN65HVD888 is available in a standard 8-pin SOIC package. The suggested retail price starts at $1.10 in 1,000-unit quantities.
TI SN65HVD888 Transceiver Features
- Exceeds Requirements of EIA-485 Standard
- Bus-Polarity Correction within 76 ms (tFS)
- Data Rate: 300 bps to 250 kbps
- Works with Two Configurations: Failsafe Resistors Only
- Failsafe and Differential Termination Resistors
- Up to 256 Nodes on a Bus (1/8 unit load)
- SOIC-8 Package for Backward Compatibility
- Bus-Pin Protection: ±16 kV HBM protection
- ±12 kV IEC61000-4-2 Contact Discharge
- +4 kV IEC61000-4-4 Fast Transient Burst
The TI SN65HVD888 is a low-power RS-485 transceiver with automatic bus-polarity correction and transient protection. Upon hot plug-in, the device detects and corrects the bus polarity within the first 76 ms of bus idling. On-chip transient protection protects the device against IEC61000 ESD and EFT transients. This device has robust drivers and receivers for demanding industrial applications. The bus pins are robust to electrostatic discharge (ESD) events, with high levels of protection to Human-Body Model (HBM), Air-Gap Discharge, and Contact Discharge specifications.
The Texas Instruments device combines a differential driver and a differential receiver, which operate together from a single 5-V power supply. The driver differential outputs and the receiver differential inputs are connected internally to form a bus port suitable for half-duplex (two-wire bus) communication. The device features a wide common-mode voltage range making the device suitable for multi-point applications over long cable runs. The SN65HVD888 is available is characterized from -40°C to 85°C.
More info: TI SN65HVD888 Bus-Polarity Correcting RS-485 Transceiver (pdf)