Microchip Technology launched the UCS100X programmable USB port power controller family. The UCS100X family includes the UCS1001-3, UCS1001-4 and UCS1002-2. The devices offer advanced USB-based charging capabilities for designing host devices, such as laptops, tablets, monitors, docking stations and printers; as well as dedicated AC-DC power-supply and charging products, such as wall adapters. The UCS1001-3, UCS1001-4 and UCS1002-2 are available now for sampling in a 20-pin QFN package. Prices start at $0.90 each, in 5,000-unit quantities.
Microchip UCS1002-2 Programmable USB Port Power Controller Features
- Port power switch with two current limit behaviors
- Selectable/automatic cycling of USB data line charger emulation profiles
- Self-contained current monitoring and charge rationing for power allocation applications
- Automatic shutdown when Battery Full option
- Low power Attach Detection and open-drain A_DET# pin
- Ultra low power Sleep state
- Optional split supply support for VBUS and VDD for low power in system standby states
- Wake on Attach USB
- SMBus 2.0/I2C communications
- Wide operating temperature range: -40°C to +85°C
- IEC61000-4-2 8 / 15 kV ESD immunity
- UL recognized and EN/IEC 60950-1 (CB) certified
The UCS1001-3, UCS1001-4 and UCS1002-2 feature higher current and priority charging for smartphones and tablets. The Microchip UCS100X also support active cables, such as the Apple Lightning connector, along with 12W charging.
The UCS1002-2 includes a built-in current sensor that can report on the amount of charging current. This helps a system to optimize its charging current and appropriately allocate power. In addition, the UCS100X can support future USB product designs via a flexible method for detecting and creating charging emulation profiles. As a result, designers can update their systems as new products are introduced to the market, while providing compatibility with a wider range of existing products.
More info: Microchip UCS1002-2 Programmable USB Port Power Controller (pdf)