Texas Instruments introduced the single-chip HD3SS2521 DockPort Controller and Switch. The TI HD3SS2521 is an integrated DockPort switch solution. It provides independent 2:1 passive switching for the SuperSpeed USB and Display Port signals as well as for the USB 2.0 (HS/FS/LS) and I2C necessary to support DockPort applications. The HD3SS2521 is available now in a 56-pin WQFN package. The suggested retail price is $1.85 in 1,000-unit quantities.
Texas Instruments HD3SS2521 DockPort Controller Features
- Bi-Directional 2:1 Switch for USB 2.0 (HS/FS/LS) and HPD Signals
- Bi-Directional 2:1 Switch for SuperSpeed USB and DisplayPort Signals
- Integrated DockPort Controller Manages DockPort Detection, Signal Switching and Power Switching
- Supports Host- and Dock-side Applications
- VCC Operating Range 3.3V ± 10%
- SuperSpeed USB I/O Supports Common Mode Voltage from 0V to 2.2V
- USB 2.0 I/O Supports Signal Up to 3.6V
- Wide -3dB Differential BW on High-bandwidth Path of over 6 GHz
- Crosstalk = -39dB
- Isolation = -22dB
- Insertion Loss = -1.2dB
- Return Loss = 12 dB
- Max Bit-Bit Skew = 8 ps
- 5mm x 11mm, 56-Pin WQFN Package (RHU)
- HBM: 2000V
- CDM: 500V
The HD3SS2521 delivers audio/video (A/V), USB data and power over a single cable between a notebook, ultrabook or tablet PC and a docking station or dongle. DockPort is a lower cost alternative to proprietary implementations and offers more features than standard USB docking stations. The HD3SS2521 controller enables DisplayPort, USB 3.0, USB 2.0 and power over a single interconnecting cable, and provides the control logic and automatic switching required on the cable’s host side and dock side.
The Texas Instruments HD3SS2521 DockPort Controller enables system designers to create smaller, more affordable docking stations that connect and synchronize computers with LCD monitors, dongles, keyboard/mouse, Gigabit Ethernet, storage, audio speakers, DVD/Blu-ray media player and smartphone.
System designers can extend DisplayPort reach, enable multiple video interfaces, and add more switching and USB SuperSpeed ports by combining the HD3SS2521 with other TI interface products. Complementary products include the SN75DP130 DisplayPort 1:2 redriver switch, SN75DP126 DisplayPort 1:2 redriver switch, SN75DP139 DisplayPort to TMDS translator, HD3SS212 DisplayPort 1.2 2-to-1 differential switch, TUSB8040A1 four-port USB 3.0 hub, and HD3SS3412 four-channel differential switch.
More info: Texas Instruments HD3SS2521 DockPort Controller and Switch (pdf)