Microchip Technology launched their BodyCom technology. It is the first framework for using the human body as a secure communication channel. BodyCom technology provides a secure, low-cost and easy method for implementing short-range, low-data-rate wireless communication with the lowest power consumption. The BodyCom Development Framework is available via free download, and it works with any of our PIC microcontrollers.
BodyCom technology does not require RF antennas. It offers low energy consumption, and increases security via bidirectional authentication. BodyCom results in simpler circuit-level designs and a lower bill of materials (BOM). All of this is enabled by the BodyCom Development V1.0 Framework, which is supplied through free software libraries that work on all of Microchip’s more than 900 8, 16 and 32-bit PIC microcontrollers.
BodyCom technology is activated by capacitively coupling to the human body. The system then begins communicating bidirectionally between a centralized controller and one or more wireless units. There are a broad range of applications where secure wireless communication is essential, and there is no more secure channel than the human body. This is especially true when you add bidirectional authentication that supports advanced encryption, such as KeeLoq technology and AES. For example, BodyCom technology helps prevent the “Relay Attack” problem that is typical in automotive passive-keyless-entry security systems.
Microchip BodyCom Technology Features
- Simple implementation
- No RF antenna design necessary
- Low-frequency design using common microcontroller and AFE frequencies (125 kHz / 8 MHz)
- No external crystals needed
- Complies with FCC Part 15-B, Radiated Emissions
- Lower overall BOM, compared to existing technologies
- Low power consumption
- No wireless transceiver required for two-way communication
- Not using high-power inductive fields
- Secure communication channel
- Provides bidirectional authentication through the human body
- Prevents the Relay Attack problem typical in PKE solutions
- Supports advanced encryption solutions like KeeLoq Technology with AES-128
More info: Microchip BodyCom Technology