Microchip Technology Unveils RN52 Bluetooth Audio Module
Microchip Technology introduced the RN52 certified Bluetooth Audio Module. The product helps designers add high-quality wireless audio and data capabilities in a broad range of applications. The RN52 Bluetooth Audio Module will be available in a compact, surface-mount form factor in March. Prices start at $16 each in 1,000-unit quantities. The module is ideal for wireless stereo speakers, headphones, automotive hands-free, medical devices and computer accessories.
The Microchip RN52 module has the Bluetooth stack on board. This results in a simple-to-use and robust design model that works with any microprocessor or microcontroller. The RN52′s embedded Bluetooth stack includes the SPP, A2DP, HFP/HSP and AVRCP profiles, along with the iAP for use with iPhone and iPod. In addition, the RN52 supports a variety of audio codecs, such as SBC, aptX, AAC and MP3.
Microchip’s RN52 module is based on technology acquired from Roving Networks.
Microchip RN52 Bluetooth Audio Module Features
- Fully certified Bluetooth version 3.0 audio module, fully compatible with Bluetooth version 2.1+EDR, 1.2, and 1.1
- Software configurable through commands over UART console interface
- Embedded Bluetooth stack profiles: SPP, A2DP, HFP/HSP, and AVRCP
- Supports iAP profile discovery for iPhone and iPod Bluetooth accessories
- Available as an A2DP audio source or sink
- Postage-stamp-sized form factor, 13.6 x 26 x 3.2mm
- Dual-channel, differential audio input and output for highest quality audio
- External audio codecs supported via PCM, SPDI/F, and SPI interface
- Castellated SMT pads for easy and reliable PCB mounting
- Additional support for codecs such as aptX, AAC, MP3, and others
- Environmentally friendly, RoHS compliant
- Certifications: FCC, IC, CE
- Bluetooth SIG certified
More info: Roving Networks RN52 Bluetooth Audio Module (pdf)
If you are familiar with RSS feeds, you can also sign up for our free news feed. Our RSS feed is updated in real-time while our newsletter is updated daily.