Microchip Technology introduced the RN52 certified Bluetooth Audio Module. The product helps designers add high-quality wireless audio and data capabilities in a broad range of applications. The RN52 Bluetooth Audio Module will be available in a compact, surface-mount form factor in March. Prices start at $16 each in 1,000-unit quantities. The module is ideal for wireless stereo speakers, headphones, automotive hands-free, medical devices and computer accessories.
The Microchip RN52 module has the Bluetooth stack on board. This results in a simple-to-use and robust design model that works with any microprocessor or microcontroller. The RN52′s embedded Bluetooth stack includes the SPP, A2DP, HFP/HSP and AVRCP profiles, along with the iAP for use with iPhone and iPod. In addition, the RN52 supports a variety of audio codecs, such as SBC, aptX, AAC and MP3.
Microchip’s RN52 module is based on technology acquired from Roving Networks.
Microchip RN52 Bluetooth Audio Module Features
- Fully certified Bluetooth version 3.0 audio module, fully compatible with Bluetooth version 2.1+EDR, 1.2, and 1.1
- Software configurable through commands over UART console interface
- Embedded Bluetooth stack profiles: SPP, A2DP, HFP/HSP, and AVRCP
- Supports iAP profile discovery for iPhone and iPod Bluetooth accessories
- Available as an A2DP audio source or sink
- Postage-stamp-sized form factor, 13.6 x 26 x 3.2mm
- Dual-channel, differential audio input and output for highest quality audio
- External audio codecs supported via PCM, SPDI/F, and SPI interface
- Castellated SMT pads for easy and reliable PCB mounting
- Additional support for codecs such as aptX, AAC, MP3, and others
- Environmentally friendly, RoHS compliant
- Certifications: FCC, IC, CE
- Bluetooth SIG certified
More info: Roving Networks RN52 Bluetooth Audio Module (pdf)