VIA Labs introduced the four-port VIA VL805 and the two-port VIA VL806 USB 3.0 Host controllers. The VL805 and VL806 help motherboard and embedded system manufacturers to add USB 3.0 to their product lines. The new devices enable a PCI Express-equipped platform to interface with multiple SuperSpeed USB peripherals devices simultaneously for transfers rates up to 5Gbps while retaining full backwards compatibility with USB 2.0 and 1.1 devices. The VIA VL805 and VL806 are available now.
The VIA VL805 and VIA VL806 Host controllers feature improved performance, seamless cross compatibility, interoperability, USB Battery Charging, and Charging Downstream Port, which enables both fast data sync and rapid charging with compatible devices. The VIA VL805 and VIA VL806 comply with the Universal Serial Bus 3.0 Specification for Super-Speed transfers and Intel’s eXtensible Host Controller Interface (xHCI) 1.0 specification and add native inbox driver support for Windows 8. VIA VL805 and VL806 host controllers are USB-IF certified.
VIA VL805 and VIA VL806 USB 3.0 Host Controller Features
- Four USB 3.0 ports (VIA VL805)
- Two USB 3.0 ports (VIA VL806)
- Compliant to Universal Serial Bus 3.0 Specification Revision 1.0
- Compliant to Universal Serial Bus 2.0 Specification
- Compliant to eXtensible Host Controller Interface (xHCI) Specification Revision 1.0
- Support Legacy USB Function
- In-house USB PHY employs advanced CMOS process to reduce power consumption
- Compliant with PCI Express Base Specification 2.0
- Support Battery Charging Specification
- Firmware upgrade options include integrated firmware in system BIOS
- Initial Driver Support for Windows 8,7, Vista, and XP
- USB Attached SCSI Protocol (UASP)
- Support various Linux kernels