Analog Devices released their single-channel, 14-bit AD9129 and 11-bit AD9119 RF D/A converters. The two RF (radio frequency) D/A converters are able to synthesize the entire downstream (transmit) cable spectrum from a single RF port. The new devices are sampling now. Production release will be available by the end of November. The 14-bit, 2.8 GSPS AD9129 in a 160-Ball CSP-BGA Pb-free is priced at $59. The PbSn version is priced at $69. The 11-bit, 2.8 GSPS AD9119 is available now in a 160-Ball CSP-BGA packaging (Pb-free). It is priced at $49.
The new RF D/A converters support from one to as many as 158 CATV carriers. The ADI devices include an optional 2x interpolation filter that reduces output filtering complexity by increasing the D/A converter update rate by a factor of two. In its Mix-Mode super-Nyquist operation, the AD9129 can reconstruct spectrally-pure RF carriers in the 2nd and 3rd Nyquist zones, eliminating a mixing stage while still maintaining exceptional dynamic range at up to 4.2 GHz.
The AD9129 includes a dual-port, source-synchronous LVDS (low-voltage differential signaling) interface that simplifies the data interface to a host FPGA or ASIC. On chip DLLs (delay-locked loops) optimize timing between different clock domains, while an SPI (serial peripheral interface) is used to configure the AD9129 and monitor the status of read-back registers.
Analog Devices AD9129/19 Single-channel D/A Converters Features
- D/A converter update rate of up to 5.6 GSPS
- Direct RF synthesis @ 2.8 GSPS data rate
- DC-to-1.4 GHz in baseband mode
- DC-to-1.0 GHz in 2x interpolation mode
- 1.4-to-4.2 GHz in mix-mode
- 1 to 158 DOCSIS 3.0 carriers: 8 QAM carrier ACLR = > 69 dBc
- By-passable 2x interpolation filters
- Excellent Dynamic performance
- DOCSIS 3.0 wideband ACLR/harmonic performance
- 8 QAM carriers: ACLR>69 dBc
- Single/multicarrier IF or RF synthesis
- Low power: 1.1 W @ 2.8 GSPS (1.3 W @ 5.6 GSPS)
More info: ADI AD9119/AD9129 RF Digital-to-Analog Converter (pdf)