Texas Instruments announced the DRV8837 motor driver. The 1.8-A brushed DC motor driver is 75% smaller than other products. The TI DRV8837 extends battery life and improves thermal performance in battery-powered or low-voltage motion control applications. It does this by reducing RDS(ON) by 50% and sleep current by 75%, compared to existing devices. The DRV8837 low-voltage H-bridge IC is available now in an 8-pin, 2-mm x 2-mm WSON package. It is priced at $0.45 each in 1,000-unit quantities.
The TI DRV8837 is an integrated motor-driver solution for cameras, consumer products, toys, and other low-voltage or battery-powered motion-control applications. The device features a H-bridge driver. It can drive one dc motor or one winding of a stepper motor, as well as other devices like solenoids. The output driver block consists of N-channel power MOSFETs configured as an H-bridge to drive the motor winding. An internal charge pump generates needed gate-drive voltages.
The DRV8837 can supply up to 1.8 A of output current. It operates on a motor power-supply voltage from 1.8 V to 11 V, and a device power-supply voltage of 1.8 V to 7 V. The DRV8837 has a PWM (IN/IN) input interface, which is compatible with industry-standard devices. Internal shutdown functions are provided for overcurrent protection, short-circuit protection, undervoltage lockout and overtemperature. The DRV8837 is packaged in an 8-pin 2-mm x 2-mm WSON PowerPAD package.
TI DRV8837 Motor Driver Features
- H-bridge motor driver
- Drives a DC motor or one winding of a stepper motor or other loads
- Low MOSFET on-resistance: HS + LS 280 milliohms
- Ultra-low sleep current as low as 35 nA
- 1.8-A maximum drive current
- 1.8-V to 11-V motor-operating supply-voltage range
- Supports up to 6-stack alkaline or 2-stack Li-ion battery pack applications
- Over-current, over-temperature, shoot-through and under-voltage protection
- Separate motor and logic supply pins
- PWM (IN/IN) interface
- Low-power sleep mode with 120-nA maximum combined supply current
- Dedicated SLEEP pin
- 2-mm x 2-mm 8-pin WSON package
More info: Texas Instruments Low-Voltage H-Bridge IC (pdf)