Texas Instruments (TI) announced their ADS131E0x family of analog front ends (AFEs) for power monitoring and control of smart e-meters. The ADS131E0x devices are available with 8, 6 or 4 channels and in 16- or 24-bit resolution. All AFE devices in the ADS131E08 family are available now in a 9-mm x 9-mm TQFP package. In 1,000-unit quantities, the 8-channel, 24-bit ADS131E08 is priced at $5.95 each; the 6-channel, 24-bit ADS131E06 is priced at $4.95; the 4-channel, 24-bit ADS131E04 is priced at $3.95; and the 8-channel, 16-bit ADS130E08 is priced at $3.95.
The ADS131E0x are a family of multichannel, simultaneous sampling, 24- and 16-bit, delta-sigma, analog-to-digital converters (ADCs) with a built-in programmable gain amplifier (PGA), internal reference, and an onboard oscillator. The analog front-end solutions are packaged in a TQFP-64 package and are specified over the industrial temperature range of –40°C to +105°C.
The ADS131E0x inputs can be independently and directly interfaced with a resistor-divider network or a transformer to measure voltage. The inputs can also be interfaced to a current transformer or Rogowski coil to measure current. With high integration levels and exceptional performance, the ADS131E0x family enables the creation of scalable industrial power systems at significantly reduced size, power, and low overall cost.
The ADS131E0x have a flexible input multiplexer per channel that can be independently connected to the internally-generated signals for test, temperature, and fault detection. Fault detection can be implemented internal to the device, using the integrated comparators with digital-to-analog converter (DAC)-controlled trigger levels. The ADS131E0x can operate at data rates as high as 64 kSPS.
TI ADS131E0x AFE Features
- Eight differential current and voltage inputs
- Exceeds class 0.1 performance
- Dynamic range at 1 kSPS: 118 dB
- Crosstalk: -110 dB
- THD: -90 dB at 50 Hz and 60 Hz
- Analog supply range: +3 V to +5 V (unipolar), ±2.5 V (bipolar, allows dc coupling)
- Digital supply range: +1.8 V to +3.6 V
- Low power: 2 mW per channel
- Data rates: 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, and 64 kSPS
- Programmable gains (1, 2, 4, 8, and 12)
- Fault detection and device testing capability
- SPI data interface and four GPIOs
- Package: TQFP-64 (PAG)
- Operating temperature range: -40°C to +105°C
More info: TI ADS131E04, ADS131E06, and ADS131E08 Analog Front-Ends (pdf)