Libelium introduced a 3G module for the Arduino platform. The 3G shield for Arduino enables the connectivity to high speed WCDMA and HSPA cellular networks. It features transfers up to 7.2Mbps, which is 20 times faster than with GPRS technology. The module also includes an internal GPS that enables the location of any Arduino both outdoors and indoors, combining standard positioning data from satellites with mobile cell triangulation in the assisted mobile mode (A-GPS).
The new Arduino 3G module includes a small camera for video recording in high resolution. It also has an audio interface that enables Arduino to run with all the functionalities of a smartphone device. The new communication module is specially oriented to work with web servers implementing all the functions that simplify transfer of the information to the Internet.
Arduino 3G Module Features
- WCDMA and HSPA 3G networks compatibility
- Internal GPS for Assisted A-GPS and Supported S-GPS modes
- Video camera (640×480) for video and photo recordings available
- Audio kit available – includes microphone, speaker, hands free and headphones
- SD file system up to 32GB
- Works as a standard 3G modem in Linux, Windows, Mac OS (~7.2Mbps download, ~5.5Mbps upload)
- Talks directly to web servers by HTTP/HTTPS (secure)
- Uploads and downloads files directly by FTP/FTPS (secure)
- Sends and receives mails by POP3/SMTP
- Plays compressed audio files
More info: Libelium 3G Shield for Arduino