Microchip Technology introduced the MCP3911 energy-measurement analog front end (AFE). The Microchip MCP3911 AFE features two 24-bit, delta-sigma ADCs that operate at 3V with an accuracy of 94.5 dB SINAD and 106.5 dB THD. The Microchip MCP3911 analog front end IC is available now for samples and volume production in 20-pin SSOP and QFN packages. Prices range from $1.40 to $1.43 each in 5,000-unit quantities.
The Microchip MCP3911 AFE accurately measures from start-up to maximum current, and enables faster calibration during production. The chip includes four power modes that enable either extremely low-power designs, to 0.8 mA per channel, or designs for higher-speed signals and harmonic content. The MCP3911 AFE features an extended temperature range of -40°C to +125°C.
The MCP3911 features 2.7 to 3.6V analog and digital operation, which simplifies the interface by running off of the same power rail as the microcontroller. In addition, an internal, low-temperature-coefficient voltage reference, along with PGAs on each channel, further enables metering and monitoring designs.
Microchip MCP3911 AFE Features
- Two Synchronous Sampling 16/24-bit Resolution Delta-Sigma A/D Converters
- 94.5 dB SINAD, -106.5 dBc Total Harmonic Distortion (THD)
- 2.7V – 3.6V AVDD, DVDD
- Programmable Data Rate up to 125 ksps – 4 MHz Maximum Sampling Frequency
- Oversampling Ratio up to 4096
- Ultra Low Power Shutdown Mode with <2 µA
- -122 dB Crosstalk between the Two Channels
- Low Drift 1.2V Internal Voltage Reference: 7 ppm/°C
- Differential Voltage Reference Input Pins
- High Gain PGA on Each Channel (up to 32V/V)
- Phase Delay Compensation with 1 µs Time Resolution
- Separate Modulator Output Pins for Each Channel
- Separate Data Ready Pin for Easy Synchronization
- Individual 24-bit Digital Offset and Gain Error Correction for Each Channel
- High-Speed 20 MHz SPI Interface with Mode 0,0 and 1,1 Compatibility
- Continuous Read/Write Modes for Minimum Communication
- Low Power Consumption (8.9 mW at 3.3V, 5.6 mW at 3.3V in low-power mode, typical)
- Available in Small 20-lead QFN and SSOP Packages, Pin-to-pin Compatible with MCP3901
- Extended Temperature Range: -40°C to +125°C
More info: Microchip Technology Inc.