VIA Labs introduced their VL812 USB 3.0 Hub Controller. The VIA Labs VL812 features four ports, a new low-power design and an integrated 5V DC-DC switching regulator. The single-chip solution reduces BOM by offering high power efficiency and greater system integration. The third generation USB 3.0 hub controller is available now. The VL812 is ideal for stand-alone hubs, USB Docking, integrated motherboard, and compound device applications.
The VIA Labs VL812 USB 3.0 Hub Controller consumes less than 0.5w under load. The low operational power consumption of the new VIA VL812 USB 3.0 Hub enables an external 2.5″ USB 3.0 hard drive, USB 2.0 Flash drive, and a USB Mouse to be attached simultaneously without the need for an AC adapter, when connected to a regular USB 3.0 port.
The VIA Labs VL812 Hub Controller supports the higher transfer rates of the USB 3.0 specification, while remaining fully backwards compatible with USB 2.0 and 1.1 hosts, hubs, and devices. In addition to rapid transfers, the VIA Labs VL812 integrates battery charging controller logic, enabling Dedicated Charging Port (DCP) and Charging Downstream Port (CDP) functionality as described in the USB Battery Charging 1.2 specification. It also supports the YD/T 1591-2009 specification and other vendor-specific modes.
VIA Labs VL812 USB 3.0 Hub Controller Features
- Compliant to USB 3.0 specification revision 1.0, and USB specification revision 2.0
- Fully integrated single chip implementation
- Industry-first integrated 5V DC-DC switching regulator
- One up-stream supports Super-speed, high-speed and full-speed traffic
- Four down-stream ports support Super-speed, high-speed, full-speed and low-speed traffic
- Charging Downstream Port, CDP, feature for rapid-charging
- In-house USB PHY employs advanced CMOS process for low power consumption
- Supports USB 3.0 low power states
- Supports full sideband signal functions inc. gang mode and LED status lights
- Full software support for Windows 7, Vista, XP, 2003, 2000, ME and Mac OS 10X and various Linux kernels
More info: VIA Labs, Inc.