e-con Systems introduced their stereo vision camera reference design (code-named Capella). The new reference design features a DM3730-based Gumstix Overo Water Storm COM, a Gumstix Tobi expansion board and e-con’s camera daughter board (e-CAM_9V024_STEREO). The Capella reference design is the first stereo vision camera reference design based on Texas Instruments’ OMAP/DM37x family of processors and Gumstix Overo computer-on-module (COM) series.
The Capella reference design includes a software development kit with full source code for application development on top of V4L2 or OpenCV. This helps engineers to develop their own Stereo Vision Camera based applications. In addition, e-con Systems also provides sample applications with source for applications like synchronous stereo image capture and depth measurement.
Capella runs Linux 2.6.35 and has Ethernet, HDMI Video port, USB OTG port, and a serial interface for Linux console. The Stereo Camera Engine driver is V4L2 compatible and is available with an OpenCV interface patch. The stereo engine driver exposes three V4L2 interfaces to the application developers to capture the left, right and combined left+right video streams. The SDK contains sample applications using both the V4L2 interface and also OpenCV stack.
The e-CAM_9V024_STEREO is powered by a pair of 1/3″ Global Shutter Monochrome Aptina CMOS image sensor MT9V024. It has an active area of WVGA 752(H) x 480(V) (360690 pixels) and can deliver Synchronous Parallel 736(H)x480(V) Monochrome video of 8-bpp gray scale images at 30fps.The cameras come with pre-aligned and pre-calibrated M12 lenses on an S-mount lens holder and designers can select and calibrate the lens for specific requirements. The two cameras are separated by a distance of 100mm(the baseline). This baseline allows accurate measurement to a depth of three meters.
Capella Stereo Vision Reference Design Features
- Stereo camera board (e-CAM_9V024_STEREO)
- Pixel synchronous Dual camera streams at 30fps
- Connects directly to 27pin camera FPC connector of Gumstix Overo COM
- Fits directly over Gumstix Tobi Base board
- Adjustable baseline on customer request
- Factory calibrated S-mount lens pair
- Standard V4L2 compliant driver with associated APIs and custom IOCTLs
- Sample V4L2 applications demonstrating the synchronous stereo operation
- Complete stereo camera development package
e-CAM_9V024_STEREO Stereo Vision Camera Board Features
- 1/3″ global shutter monochrome MT9V024 image sensor
- WVGA 752(H) x 480(V) (360690 pixels) sensors output
- 736(H) x 480(V) images in 8-bit greyscale format
- Synchronous parallel monochrome 8-bit video data at 30 fps per sensor
- Integrated stereo video output of 1472(H) x 480(V) pixels at 30fps
- Baseline distance of 100mm (could be altered on customer’s request
- S-mount lens holder (M12 P0.5) with lock-nut with pre-calibrated S-mount lens pair
More info: e-con Systems Inc.