According to In-Stat, the top three uses for future tablet owners are email, personal information management, and multimedia consumption (audio, video and gaming). Last year’s small crop of tablets was being touted as potential e-readers (a way to compete against the Amazon Kindle lineup). But the next generation of tablets will be marketed as consumer multimedia consumption devices positioned to compete squarely against the Apple iPad.
US Consumers’ Attitudes and Behaviors Toward the Emerging Tablet Market Highlights
- Worldwide tablet shipments are expected to reach over 58 million units in 2014
- Nearly 55% of survey respondents that own tablets spend 9 hours or more using their tablet each week
- Over 40% of future tablet purchasers plan to buy an Apple iPad
- The strongest shipment growth begins in the latter portion of our forecast period
US Consumers’ Attitudes and Behaviors Toward the Emerging Tablet Market (#IN1104919ID) surveys US consumers to determine attitudes and behaviors toward the burgeoning tablet market. Survey questions asked include:
- What brand of tablet do you own?
- What purposes do you use your tablet most often?
- What types of free applications have you downloaded to your tablet?
- Do you subscribe to a cellular service for your tablet?
- Do you plan to purchase a tablet in the next 12 months?
- What brand of tablet will you purchase?
- How much are you willing to spend for your tablet?