H.264 decoders are beginning to appear in many solutions and the compression scheme is becoming more popular. Satellite set top boxes continue to be the largest market for H.264 decoder ICs. In addition more and more DTVs are using H.264 decoder ICs rather than only MPEG-2. As a result In-Stat expects H.264 decoder ICs to grow at an annual rate in excess of 20% through 2013.
“Advanced compression, such as H.264, is becoming increasingly popular due to its lower bit rate and smaller file size that especially helps networked video solutions,” says Michelle Abraham, Principal Analyst. “The proliferation of video applications, such as user-generated content and online video streaming, embedded DVRs and mobile video are serving to increase demand for low cost, high-quality encoders.”
Recent research by In-Stat found the following:
- Worldwide H.264 chip unit shipments will increase by 51% in 2010 over 2009
- Broadcom was the largest supplier of H.264 decoder ICs for the satellite set top box market
- ST continues to maintain leadership in the SD MPEG-2 cable market
- MediaTek remained the top supplier of DVD decoder ICs
- Renesas led the market in Blu-ray SoCs in 2009
Recent In-Stat research, “MPEG ICs Grow with the Consumer Electronics Market” (#IN1004696MMT), covers the worldwide market for MPEG integrated circuits in consumer electronics. It includes:
- Examination of MPEG IC markets for broadcast and professional applications, semi-professional and industrial applications, and consumer electronics — both line-powered and mobile
- Worldwide forecasts for multiple types of MPEG ICs for several types of applications through 2014
- Companies mentioned in the report: ALi, Ambarella, Broadcom, C2 Microsystems, Cavium Networks, Hisilicon, Intel, Magnum Semiconductor, Maxim, MediaTek, NTT Electronics Corporation, RealTek, Renesas, Sigma Designs, STMicroelectronics, Stretch, Sunplus, Texas Instruments, Trident Microsystems, ViXS Systems, Zenverge, and Zoran
For a free sample of the report and more information contact Elaine Potter at(480) 483-4441.
The price is $3,995 (US).
This research is part of In-Stat’s Multimedia Technology service, which provides comprehensive analysis and forecasts the worldwide markets for technologies, IP, and semiconductors in multimedia-enabled consumer electronics devices (TVs, set top boxes, etc.).
In-Stat’s market intelligence combines technical, market and end-user research and database models to analyze the Mobile Internet and Digital Entertainment ecosystems. Our insights are derived from a deep understanding of technology impacts, nearly 30 years of history in research and consulting, and direct relationships with leading players in each of our core markets. In-Stat provides its research through reports, annual subscriptions, consulting and advisory services to inform critical decisions. Technology vendors, equipment manufacturers, service providers and media companies worldwide rely on In-Stat to support critical business, product and technology decisions.