Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NYSE: TXN) introduced a complete 2.4-GHz radio frequency (RF) system-on-chip solution supporting the IEEE 802.15.4 standard and an extensive set of applications, including ZigBee PRO networks, ZigBee RF4CE remote controls, smart energy, home and building automation, environmental monitoring and wireless medical. Unlike competing solutions, the CC2530 provides up to 256 KB of Flash memory to enable development of multiple network protocols, which TI supports with free, downloadable software and tools to ensure that customers have everything needed for complete system development.
“The CC2530 solution is specifically tailored for emerging low-power RF applications that will enhance consumer’s day-to-day lives, such as RF remote controls and audio/visual consumer electronics, efficient smart energy networks, advanced home automation and personal wireless medical devices,” said Art George, senior vice president of TI’s High-Performance Analog business unit. “The combination of best-in-class IEEE 802.15.4 system-on-chip with an unmatched suite of software and tools provides unlimited possibilities for next-generation low-power wireless networking systems.”
Key features and benefits
- TI offers a variety of free protocol software stacks that are supported by the CC2530 to enable cost-optimized selection of network protocol based on system requirements:
- Z-Stack software for ZigBee-compliant applications (ZigBee PRO)
- RemoTI network protocol for ZigBee RF4CE remote control applications
- SimpliciTI network protocol for proprietary networking applications
- 2x more Flash memory than closest competitor (256 KB) and extensive peripheral set (DMA, GPIO, USARTs, ADC, timers) supports wide range of applications and reduces bill-of-material cost
- Device integrates a leading RF transceiver with an industry-standard enhanced 8051 MCU, in-system programmable flash memory, 8-KB RAM and many other powerful features
- Compatible devices from TI include the CC2590 and CC2591 2.4-GHz analog front ends (range extenders) and MSP430 ultra-low-power microcontroller
Availability and pricing
The CC2530 is available now in a QFN-40 package and pricing starts at $3.25 in quantities of 1,000 units. Start your development today with a comprehensive demonstration kit that provides all the hardware and software necessary to evaluate the CC2530: basic development kit (CC2530DK), ZigBee development kit (CC2530ZDK), ZigBee RF4CE development kit (RemoTI-CC2530DK).