Emerson Network Power, a business of Emerson (NYSE:EMR) and the global leader in enabling Business-Critical Continuity, launched a new bladed server platform based on open-standards AdvancedTCA® technology. The Katana 2000® is designed to provide network equipment providers with improved serviceability, power and space efficiency over typical rack mount server-based solutions for tasks that store, process and forward large amounts of data in a wide range of applications where reliability or bill-per-minute are critical.
Target applications include:
- Internet-based media and content provisioning
- Data processing and logging in industrial installations and oil and gas exploration
- Surveillance infrastructure in security applications
- Server platform for electronic warfare
- Image processing and data management in medical applications
- Data retrieving, processing and storing in scientific or large physics experiments
The 3U high, 19 inch wide server can be supplied with one or two high performance ATCA-based server blades, each featuring two of the latest quad-core Intel® Xeon® processor 5500 series devices rated for speeds up to 2.53 GHz with up to 48GB DDR3 memory and two individually hot-swappable SAS hard drives. The platform integrates chassis, cooling, power distribution, and shelf management into a high availability platform solution. The server is optimized for performance in commercial environments at up to 35 degrees Celsius temperature, and features front-to-rear cooling to meet ASHRAE (American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers) and IT best practice guidelines.
“Emerson Network Power is using the Katana 2000 to bring the core values of ATCA to a wider market by adapting and optimizing performance for applications that do not need to meet the stringent NEBS requirements for which ATCA was originally designed,” said Brian Carr, marketing manager for the Embedded Computing business of Emerson Network Power. “ATCA has already proven itself to be highly reliable in operation, and the open standards-based architecture gives customers freedom of choice and doesn’t lock them into any particular vendor.”
The Katana 2000 can also be integrated with Emerson Network Power’s best-in-class SpiderWare M3 platform management software and Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
Katana 2000 specification highlights:
- 3U chassis for 19″ racks?Front-to-rear air flow
- Two slots for 8U server blades (based on the ATCA specification) featuring dual quad-core next generation Intel® Xeon® processor 5500 series up to 2.53 GHz and six DDR3 DIMM sockets for up to 48GB main memory
- Based on Intel® Xeon® 5500 Platform containing Intel® Xeon® processor 5500 series with an Integrated Memory Controller and DDR3 support as well as support for Intel® QuickPath, Turbo Boost, Virtualization and Hyper-Threading Technologies
- Redundant centralized Ethernet access via the system backplane, 1 and 2Gbps
- Dual hot-swappable hard disks
- PICMG® 3.0 compliant Intelligent Platform Management Controller (IPMC)
- Firmware upgradeable from IPMI interface (IPMB)
More information:Katana 2000 bladed server
About Emerson Network Power
Emerson Network Power, a business of Emerson (NYSE:EMR), is the global leader in enabling Business-Critical ContinuityTM from grid to chip for telecommunication networks, data centers, health care and industrial facilities. Emerson Network Power provides innovative solutions and expertise in areas including AC and DC power and precision cooling systems, embedded computing and power, integrated racks and enclosures, power switching and controls, monitoring, and connectivity. All solutions are supported globally by local Emerson Network Power service technicians. For more information on Emerson Network Power’s embedded computing products and services including ATCA®, MicroTCATM, CompactPCI®, VMEbus, industrial motherboards and OpenSAF for original equipment manufacturers and systems integrators in the telecommunications, industrial automation, aerospace/defense and medical markets, visit www.EmersonNetworkPower.com/EmbeddedComputing. Learn more about Emerson Network Power products and services at www.EmersonNetworkPower.com.
Emerson (NYSE: EMR), based in St. Louis, Missouri (USA), is a global leader in bringing technology and engineering together to create innovative solutions for customers through its network power, process management, industrial automation, climate technologies, and appliance and tools businesses. Sales in fiscal 2008 were $24.8 billion. For more information, visit www.Emerson.com.
Business-Critical Continuity, Emerson Network Power and the Emerson Network Power logo are trademarks and service marks of Emerson Electric Co. AdvancedTCA, CompactPCI, ATCA and MicroTCA are registered trademarks of the PCI Industrial Computer Manufacturers Group. Intel and Xeon are trademarks of Intel Corporation in the US and other countries.