SYSGO, leading supplier of software solutions for the world’s most demanding safety and security applications, announces the release of ELinOS 5.0, the most widely used embedded Linux commercial product in Europe for 10 years. This new major version of Industrial Grade Linux brings to Linux developers a large range of new functionality and improvements such as a new version of the Eclipse-based IDE CODEO, new kernel 2.6.27 support, more than 2000 precompiled applications and libraries, and the just released support of Adobe Flash Lite.
The new version 5.0 of ELinOS, the product of choice for embedded Linux developers for 10 years, offers a new set of functionality that makes SYSGO’s historically popular product even more user friendly and feature rich while retaining the robustness and industrial quality that built its reputation.
Linux is an attractive option for many types of embedded applications. Its flexibility and broad range of functionality, APIs and drivers are compelling reasons to consider Linux. However, many traps and difficulties lurk for embedded Linux novices, non-experts, or developers who have no time to sort out the proliferation of new components continuously being added to the sprawling Linux ecosystem. ELinOS is the embedded Linux environment that solves these problems, offering customers the best selection of technology to meet their needs, along with the comfort of world-class support.
“We see a growing trend of using embedded Linux in industry sectors that did not seem to be a natural market for it initially”, said Jacques Brygier, VP Marketing. “With ELinOS, from the beginning we have targeted Linux applications that require a high level of development quality. We see now that this product strategy led us to expand our customer base beyond our traditional industrial automation market to sectors like avionics and transportation. The release of 5.0 will help us to consolidate this trend since the reason for this expansion is a growing demand for the combination of functionality and reliability.”
The new 5.0 version brings the following improvements:
- Integration of Linux kernel 2.6.27, introducing improved response time / lower latency, improved power management, improved support for dual-core and hyperthreading on x86, support for virtualization, foundation for real-time, much improved wireless networking support, many new drivers, support for user-space drivers (UIO), in-kernel CAN support, kernel debugger (KGDB), new flash file system (UBIFS)
- Version 3.0 of CODEO, the eclipse based development environment that provides guided configuration, remote debugging, target monitoring, remote application deployment, and timing analyses; this new release in particular allows the user to add CODEO plugins on top of a preinstalled Eclipse (3.4) version without reinstallation.
- Improved version of the target configuration tool ELK
- Security features like integrated rules based firewall, execution restriction to digitally signed binaries only, secure remote shell access, and VPN support including StrongSWAN and OpenVPN
- More than 2000 precompiled target libraries and applications such as BusyBox, XOrg7.3, Mesa7.4, QT 4.4.x, GTK+ 2.12.x, OpenSSH, Lighttpd, and many more
- Xenomai 2.4.x support for x86, PowerPC and ARM platforms
- Support of Adobe Flash Lite
ELinOS 5.0 is available in March 2009. The five families of supported processors are the x86, PowerPC, ARM, SH and MIPS. ELinOS 5.0 is available for Linux and Windows hosted platforms.
SYSGO excels in providing operating system technology, middleware, and software services for the real-time and embedded device market. A differentiating capability of SYSGO is the secure and certifiable PikeOS paravirtualization operating system which is built upon a small, fast, and safe microkernel and supports the cohabitation of independent operating system personalities on a single platform, including ELinOS, SYSGO’s embedded Linux development environment. SYSGO supports international customers with services for embedded Linux, real-time capabilities and certification for safety-critical applications. Target markets include Aerospace & Defense, Industrial Automation, Automotive, Transportation and Network Infrastructure. SYSGO customers include Airbus, Honeywell, Thales, Daimler, Raytheon, Rheinmetall, Rockwell-Collins, Siemens and Rohde & Schwarz. Today, the company has six facilities in Europe, including Germany, France and The Czech Republic and offers a global distribution and support network, extending to North America and the Pacific Rim.
SYSGO, ELinOS, PikeOS, CODEO, and other SYSGO products and services mentioned herein as well as their respective logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of SYSGO.