Developers can now deliver pixel-perfect images in their digital video designs without concerns for video format support, network bandwidth or system storage capacity limitations with the new TMS320DM365 digital media processor based on DaVinci[tm] technology from Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NYSE: TXN). The DM365 includes production-qualified H.264, MPEG-4, MPEG-2, MJPEG and VC1 codecs, an integrated image signal processing (ISP) solution for intelligent video processing capabilities and a suite of on-board peripherals, saving developers up to 25 percent on their system cost.
Video designers of media playback and camera-driven applications, such as video doorbells and portable media players, can expand their product portfolio on one platform with the ability to select the right HD video codec for multiple product designs (1080p MPEG-4 at 24 fps or 720p H.264 and MPEG-4 at 30 fps). The DM365 is optimized for video security applications by supporting 1080p H.264 at 10 fps to provide high-quality video with greater compression efficiency. As a result, developers attain increased video storage without straining network bandwidth. In addition, by having a built-in ISP with capabilities including face detection, developers can focus on differentiating their products with truly unique smart video features, such as enabling intelligent digital signage to detect its viewers and display relevant advertising or video doorbells to instantly recognize family members and automatically unlock the door.
DM365 features and benefits:
- ARM926EJ-S[tm] core delivers up to 300 MHz while offloading the video encode/decode functions to the integrated HD video accelerators for optimal system performance
- Multi-format, multi-rate HD video with H.264, MPEG-4, MPEG-2, MJPEG and VC1 codecs provides ultimate video flexibility, ensures compatibility with legacy codecs and the ability to expand a product portfolio on one platform
- On-chip ISP with noise filtering, video stabilization, face detection, auto white balance, auto focus, auto exposure and edge enhancement allows for image improvements and added intelligent video processing
- ISP eliminates need for customers to create custom algorithms in-house or purchase expensive optics to achieve high-quality images
- Integrated peripherals (EMAC, USB 2.0 Phy, 16-bit DDR2, voice codecs, real time clock and three 10-bit DACs) for smaller board size and system cost savings of up to 25 percent
- Royalty-free, production-ready codec bundles (MP3, G.711, H.264, MPEG-4 and JPEG) and premium audio and video bundles (AAC, WMA and AEC, MPEG-2, VC1/WMV9) decrease design complexity and accelerate time-to-market
Pricing, availability and tools
The TMX320DM365 processor is available for sampling and is priced at USD $37.85 (100 units). Also available for order entry is the USD $595 TMDXEVM365 with MontaVista® Pro 5 and Linux board support package (BSP) that allows developers to prototype and create DM365-based projects quickly and easily. Windows® Embedded CE from MPC Data and a real-time operating system (RTOS) from eSOL will be available in 2H09. TI also provides a full complement of analog ICs, such as power management, video and audio amplifiers and data converters, touch-screen controllers, interface, clocks, low-power RF and logic devices.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments (NYSE: TXN) helps customers solve problems and develop new electronics that make the world smarter, healthier, safer, greener and more fun. A global semiconductor company, TI innovates through design, sales and manufacturing operations in more than 30 countries.
DaVinci is a trademark of Texas Instruments.