Axis Network Technology has introduced a super efficient triple mode power amplifier module and IP linearisation solution, offering a 45% final stage efficiency for UMTS ETSI compliant 64QAM systems at 2.1GHz. The solution uses just a power amplifier module and IP block resident in the transmitter chain FPGA, therefore, the customer implementation is both simple and cost effective.
As well as UMTS, this solution operates with CDMA and OFDM (DVB, WiMAX and LTE) air interfaces. The solution supports up to 30MHz of signal bandwidth and single and multicarrier signals for all modes.
Power amplifiers are at the heart of a wireless transmission system and traditionally consume the most significant portion of the energy used within conventional macro base stations. Highly efficient power amplifiers are now allowing the substitution of macro base stations with compact high power remote radio heads (RRH). Amplifiers with 45% efficiency allow the design of convection cooled RRHs capable of 2 x 25 watts of HSPA+ RF downlink power at 2.1 GHz.
“AxisNT understand the importance of high efficiency to provide operators with lower operating costs and more deployment options. We are delighted to hit these important efficiency milestones for multi-mode signals. Through our research and development programs we are creating products that our OEM customers can quickly take to market,” said Steve Cooper, CTO and co-founder of AxisNT. “Lowering the energy consumption, and minimising the environment impact, of next generation wireless systems is crucial for their commercial success.”
The AxisNT PowerDPD[TM] linearization IP solution is available as an embedded net list for use in either Altera or Xilinx FPGAs. It combines a Crest Factor Reduction (CFR) block and Digital Predistortion (DPD) block to maximise the efficiency of the amplifier module whilst ensuring compliance to stringent ETSI and FCC requirements. The IP solution also provides marketing leading carrier and image suppression when used with direct modulation schemes.
AxisNT have Dual Channel (MIMO) amplifiers modules available operating at 2.1, 2.3, 2.5 and 3.5GHz.
AxisNT PowerDPD[TM] benefits and features
- Reduces the peak-to-average ratio (PAR) for single-carrier and multi-carrier signals
- Improves adjacent channel leakage ratio (ACLR) without the need for separate chipset or DSP
- Enables 45% efficiency using Axis Power Amplifiers
- Simple to implement – Available as a net list for FPGA implementation, no additional board space or components required
- Significantly reducing cost for multi-channel MIMO systems, as processing block and feedback path are shared across up to 4 transmitters
- Supports single and multicarrier environments, managing LO suppression to ETSI and FCC requirements in non adjacent carrier configurations
- Proven for use in burst mode systems such as TDD-LTE and TD-SCDMA
AxisNT’s integrated remote radio heads (RRH) are available for a complete range of WiMAX and LTE applications. AxisNT’s patented amplifier technology enables its RRHs to provide market-leading uplink and downlink performance, which improves network coverage and capacity for its customers. The convection-cooled RRHs use substantially less power than traditional macro basestations, and can reduce the site CAPEX and OPEX of a wireless network by as much as 90%. Axis Radio Remote Head technology is suitable for TDD and FDD mode.
More information: Axis Network Technology Ltd