Bringing together all the tools needed for mobile application developers to get fresh, innovative applications to market quickly, Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NYSE: TXN) unveiled an enhanced version of its OMAP[TM] 3 processor-based development platform – the Zoom[TM] OMAP34x-II Mobile Development Platform (MDP), which is designed, developed, and manufactured by Logic. The robust new platform gives Smartphone and Mobile Internet Device (MID) application developers who are eager to create applications for leading mobile operating systems, such as the Android Mobile Platform, Linux, LiMo, Symbian OS[TM] and Microsoft(r) Windows(r) Mobile, a robust handheld form factor with the wireless connectivity technologies, enhanced imaging, video, display technology, software, as well as an optional 3G modem and optional DLP Pico[TM] projection technology module that enables big picture experiences in the palm of your hand.
The new platform will be demonstrated this week in TI’s booth at Mobile World Congress, Hall 8, 8A84.
Out of the box features of the Zoom OMAP34x-II MDP:
- 4.1″ WVGA multi-touch display with a QWERTY keypad in a landscape, handheld form factor
- High performance OMAP3430 applications processor that supports up to 720p HD video encode/decode
- Support for popular leading mobile operating systems, including Android Mobile Platform, Linux, LiMo, Symbian OS and Microsoft(r) Windows(r) Mobile
- Wireless connectivity technology from TI, including WiLink[TM] 6.0 (WL1271), a single chip with Wi-Fi(r), Bluetooth(r) and FM functionality; and NaviLink[TM] GPS functionality
- 8-megapixel camera sensor
- Optional 3G modem solution, as well as flexibility to support any third party modem through an extension card
- In the future, an optional DLP Pico projection module will be available, taking mobile content from “tiny screen” viewing to a shareable “big screen” format
Benefits of developing on the Zoom OMAP34x-II MDP:
- Affordable, fully featured development platform and debugging tools to get to market quickly on Android and other mobile operating systems
- Small, portable form factor that replicates a real-world mobile environment
- Fully integrated hardware and software, simplifying the development process and enabling fast time to market
- Ideal platform for mobile innovation and creating new user experiences, due to the powerful combination of a high-performance OMAP3430 processor, multi-touch display, rich peripheral set and new sensor technology
Pricing, availability, tools and support
The Zoom OMAP34x-II MDP was designed, developed, and manufactured by Logic, a lifecycle management company with more than 10 years experience working with OMAP technology and developer and manufacturer of customized MDP platforms. The Zoom OMAP34x-II MDP is available with or without a 3G modem and is available for ordering today through Logic-authorized distributors. The optional DLP Pico projection module for the Zoom OMAP34x-II MDP is expected to be available in mid-2009.
Find out more about the Zoom OMAP34x-II MDP and TI’s OMAP family by visiting the links below:
- Design with Zoom OMAP34x-II MDP: www.ti.com/zoom2_community
- Zoom OMAP34x-II MDP technical information: www.ti.com/zoom2_technical
- Videos of the Zoom OMAP34x-II MDP: www.ti.com/zoom2_video
- Order a Zoom OMAP34x-II MDP: www.ti.com/orderzoom
What they’re saying about the Zoom OMAP34x-II MDP:
“As a mobile OS vendor, it is critical for ACCESS to have a full-featured hardware platform to develop on,” said Didier Diaz, senior vice president of product strategy management, ACCESS CO., LTD. “The OMAP3430-based OMAP Zoom Mobile Development Platform with its built-in multimedia capability, WVGA display and full complement of connectivity options provides an ideal platform for designing state-of-the-art experiences.”
“We are pleased to be a wireless modem supplier for TI’s advanced Zoom II mobile development platform. Our high performance HSPA modem offers instant mobile broadband connectivity, accelerating the development of compelling new applications,” stated Mark Lemmo, Executive Vice President, Business Development for InterDigital. “Available as a 3G modem option, InterDigital’s SlimChip MID Module has been pre-integrated with the OMAP34x-II MDP, allowing mobile application developers to fully exploit the rich capabilities of this platform.”
“The Zoom OMAP34x-II Mobile Development platform is the most feature-rich development platform that I’ve worked on, and the great amount of open source code that TI has made available makes it a very interesting target for developers,” said Will Brake, Project Manager, HP Imaging Technologies Licensing.
“The Zoom OMAP34x-II Mobile Development Platform will truly deliver a whole new generation of advanced handheld graphics and multimedia capabilities to the market. Take this and combine with TAT’s market leading mobile User Interface Framework, TAT Cascades, and the possibilities will become almost infinite. Our close collaboration with TI allows us to push the visual limits of mobile user interfaces going forward, taking UI creativity and innovation to a whole new level”, says Charlotta Falvin, CEO, TAT.
“As a Linux Commercialization Partner in the Open Handset Alliance and TI partner, Wind River has worked with Android on a pre-commercial version of the Zoom OMAP34x platform since mid-2008, when we began using it in association with a joint customer,” said Jason Whitmire, general manager of Mobile Solutions at Wind River. “Based on our experience, OEMs and application developers will find the Zoom OMAP 34x-II MDP will speed their time to market for advanced Android-based mobile devices.”
More information: Texas Instruments