As digital video continues to permeate new application spaces while maturing in more traditional uses, video system developers need to be able to create more advanced products in reduced time-to-market windows without incurring additional costs. Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NYSE: TXN) announced a comprehensive system-level solution to simplify customer development of digital video products that includes free optimized software codec bundles and production-quantity availability of several digital media processors based on DaVinci[tm] technology. With an easy-to-use and self-serve software licensing process, customers designing with DaVinci technology have easy access to a comprehensive suite of production-qualified audio and video bundles that can be easily integrated into their various video applications.
Free audio and video codec bundles
- TMS320DM355 codec bundle: In addition to the video codecs already included with the DM355 processor, developers wanting to enhance the acoustic performance of their designs can employ the audio codec bundle that includes MP3, WMA, MPEG-4 AAC LC and Acoustic Echo Cancellation. (www.ti.com/dm355)
- TMS320DM643x codec bundle: Developers utilizing DM643x processors for cost-sensitive digital media applications, such as in-flight entertainment systems, machine-vision systems and robotics, have access to a rich software bundle that includes the Network Developer’s Kit (TCP/IP Stack), H.264 Base Profile (BP), MPEG-4 Simple Profile (SP), MPEG-2 decode, JPEG and G.711 codecs. (www.ti.com/dm643x)
- TMS320DM644x codec bundle: A bundle with MPEG-4 SP, MPEG-2 decode, JPEG and G.711 codecs enables developers of DM644x processor-based designs to easily integrate video capabilities in their digital video equipment, such as videophones, automotive infotainment products and streaming media applications. (www.ti.com/dm644x)
- TMS320DM646x codec bundle: For DM646x processor-based products, designers can take advantage of a bundle that incorporates G.711, H.264 BP, MPEG-2 decode and JPEG, allowing them to address high-definition (HD) challenges for commercial and consumers markets, such as digital media adaptors, digital video recorders (DVR) and IP set-top boxes. (www.ti.com/dm6467)
- TMS320DM647 and TMS320DM648 codec bundle: Developers creating multi-channel video applications with a high-performance digital signal processor (DSP) can utilize the Network Developer’s Kit, H.264 BP, MPEG-4 SP and G.711 codecs. (www.ti.com/dm64x)
Designed for customer ease-of-use
By having a flexible and uncomplicated software framework that is fully optimized with codecs that are eXpressDSP[tm] Digital Media (xDM) compliant, developers can achieve greater functionality for their digital video end equipment. xDM compliant codecs of the same class – video, imaging, speech and audio – can be exchanged easily with no changes required at the application layer. For instance, designers of video security applications that must support transcoding and multiple codecs have the ability to simply interchange codecs without having to rewrite application code and will be able to leverage the same platform to manage their complex SoC designs. Access to a growing and accessible repository of software simplifies product development and shortens design time, enabling designers to concentrate efforts on further innovating their design.
Once developers register their software, they also have the added benefit of direct access to TI’s digital media software offerings through a self-serve view of all licensed TI software. Ongoing notices of the latest software versions from TI for their applications allow designers to easily manage their own updates and upgrades to their software as well as renew subscriptions.
Production quantity digital media processors
Several digital media processors based on DaVinci technology are available in production-quantities.
- System-on-chip (SoC) devices comprised of TI’s TMS320C64x+[tm] DSP core, an ARM® processor and various accelerators include the TMS320DM6441, TMS320DM6443, TMS320DM6446 and DM6467 processors
- DSP-only devices tuned for tuned for automotive vision, video security and video telephony applications include the TMS320DM6431, TMS320DM6433, TMS320DM6435, TMS320DM6437, DM647 and DM648 processors
Pricing and availability
The DM355, DM643x, DM644x, DM646x, DM647 and DM648 codec bundles are available for no charge with accepted legal terms at www.ti.com/codecbundles. Future bundled production-versions for additional TI devices will be available throughout the year. For pricing on the digital media processors based on DaVinci technology, please visit www.thedavincieffect.com
Texas Instruments (NYSE: TXN) helps customers solve problems and develop new electronics that make the world smarter, healthier, safer, greener and more fun. A global semiconductor company, TI innovates through manufacturing, design and sales operations in more than 25 countries.
DaVinci, TMS320C64x+ and eXpressDSP are trademarks of Texas Instruments.