Birdstep Technology (OSE: BIRD) announced the release of version 8.1 of its popular Raima Database Manager Server, also known as RDM Server. This is the latest release from the Raima Database Management Family of products, providing exciting new capabilities and functionality for embedded systems application developers.
Below are a few of the new features released in RDM Server 8.1:
- Dynamic Role Switching-an important feature for high availability applications RDM Server now allows master database servers to become a slave and a slave to in turn become the new master. This is all accomplished without the need to bring down the system.
- Table Level Replication-moving beyond database replication this release provides the ability to choose which tables within the database to be replicated. This minimizes the use of valuable resources by not replicating unnecessary data.
- Hitless Upgrades-in high availability applications bring the application down for upgrades is usually not an option. This release of RDM Server allows developers of high availability applications to design upgrades to their systems that can be applied without disrupting the system.
- Replay able Initialization-this feature removes the dependency on the RDM Server file format, which requires an on disk copy of the database file, allowing replication between in-memory tables and disk tables. Also it allows replication to be accomplished between RDM Server and other third party databases. An example of this might be the replication of the data on a device to a backend enterprise database.
- Pluggable Replication Filters-this feature, along with the Replay able Initialization feature described above, provides the ability for application developers to extend RDM Server’s transaction logging to generate user defined transaction as well as replication to third party applications.
- Administrator GUI Upgrades-new sections have been added to the RDM Server Administrator GUI making the configuration and management of replication information more intuitive.
- SQL Browser Enhancements-several enhancements have been made to the SQL Browser providing more flexibility and ease of use.
The free RDM Server SDK is available for download on the Birdstep Website.
About The Raima Database Manager Family
Raima released the first version of the Raima embedded database in 1984. Since then the family has grown into three successful embedded database products. RDM Embedded pioneered the embedded market space under the name dbVista. Building on the success of RDM Embedded, Raima released the product in a client/server configuration under the name Velocis, now called RDM Server. Augmenting the two is RDM Mobile, ideally suited for consumer electronics and low cost mobile devices such as set-top boxes, mp3 players etc.
About Birdstep Technology, Inc
Birdstep Technology, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Birdstep Technology ASA, is a leading provider of high-performance embedded database solutions known as the Raima Database Manager product-line. Since 1984, the company has been focused on solving data management problems in a wide variety of verticals such as Mil/Aero, Telecom, Financial, Consumer Electronics, Medical, Industrial Automation, Business Automation and more. With over 20,000 application developers, resulting in over 20,000,000 deployments, Birdstep continues to lead in the worldwide demand for embedded database technology.