Demonstrating leadership in delivering cutting-edge WiMAX silicon to market, NextWave Wireless Inc. (NASDAQ: WAVE), a global provider of mobile multimedia and wireless broadband technologies, announced the NW2000 Wave 2-ready family of advanced, second-generation mobile WiMAX chipsets. NextWave’s innovative ‘No Compromise’ WiMAX silicon solutions raise the bar for mobile WiMAX chipsets — offering a compact solution with outstanding performance, very low power consumption and enhanced integration for mobile multimedia.
Following on the heels of its first generation chipsets, which were sampled in 2007, NextWave is committed to accelerating wireless broadband market momentum through its sampling of the NW2000 chipset family. The NW2000 offers optimized 4G silicon to enable bandwidth intensive mobile multimedia applications ? including streaming video, video conferencing, Quality-of-Service (QoS) sensitive applications such as Voice-over-IP (VoIP) and support for NextWave’s recently announced MXtv(tm), mobile broadcast over WiMAX service.
“We’re making WiMAX a reality and lowering the barriers to adoption by bringing next-generation, ‘No Compromise’ WiMAX chipsets to market,” said Ed Redmond, executive vice president, Mobile Products Division and general manager, Semiconductor Business Unit, NextWave Wireless. “The high performance, low power and high integration of our WiMAX solution increases the attractiveness of WiMAX devices, providing consumers a more enriched mobile experience and helping mobile device manufacturers deliver a more capable, more sophisticated WiMAX-enabled product line. In addition, by enabling new multimedia services, it drives greater operator revenue potential through higher ARPU.”
The NextWave NW2000 family is ideally suited for high-volume, small form-factor wireless broadband subscriber stations, including CPE modems, PC card modems, laptops, multimode/smartphone handsets and mobile multimedia terminals. Specifically, the new mobile WiMAX chipsets include:
- NW2100: NextWave’s NW2100 is a family of 802.16e-based mobile subscriber baseband System-On-a-Chip (SoC) solutions designed for Wave 2 WiMAX Forum compliance. Integrating an ARM9 processor and memory, the NW2100 provides a complete self-hosted modem, enabling designs with minimum processing load on the host processor. The use of advanced 65-nanometer CMOS process technology significantly minimizes chip size and greatly reduces power consumption. Other distinctive features of NextWave’s NW2100 SoC include integrated 802.11b/g MAC/BB, SIM controller, multiple host interfaces, an embedded device security/firmware authentication engine, support for optimum data throughput, and advanced proprietary techniques that significantly reduce the overall system power consumption.
- NW2200: Designed to be used in conjunction with NextWave’s NW2100 WiMAX SoC family, NextWave’s NW2200 family of single-chip, highly integrated, multi-band Radio Frequency (RF) transceivers have dual independent receive chains optimized for mobile applications. The NW2200 provides a compact, ultra low-power, high-performance solution for manufacturers of wireless broadband mobile devices, and unlike competitor RF ICs it supports all major worldwide WiMAX bands and profiles. To further decrease total system cost and chip footprint, NextWave has deployed a direct-conversion architecture, integrated low-noise amplifiers, and integrated low-dropout voltage regulators for reduced external component count.
Engineering samples and Evaluation/System Development Kits for the NW2000 family are available this month for qualified customers.
Demonstrations at CTIA WIRELESS 2008 (Booth #5265)
At CTIA booth, NextWave will highlight the following:
- Live demonstrations of WiMAX-enabled consumer multimedia devices
- Debut of MXtv-enabled devices
- Innovative WiMAX reference products/reference designs
About NextWave Wireless
NextWave Wireless Inc. (Nasdaq: WAVE) is engineering the future of mobility by providing next-generation mobile multimedia and wireless broadband technologies to the world’s leading mobile handset manufacturers, network equipment suppliers, and wireless service providers. From mobile television and mobile broadband systems to semiconductors and device-embedded mobile multimedia software that can be found in more than 200 million handsets around the globe, NextWave is evolving the way consumers experience mobile multimedia content. In addition, the company’s global spectrum footprint allows service providers to deploy next-generation wireless broadband networks utilizing NextWave’s advanced wireless broadband products and technologies.