Ramtron International Corporation (Nasdaq: RMTR), a leading developer and supplier of nonvolatile ferroelectric random access memory (F-RAM) and integrated semiconductor products, launched the FM3135, a 64-kilobit (Kb), 3-volt Processor Companion product that combines the benefits of nonvolatile F-RAM memory with an enhanced real-time clock/calendar (RTC) and integrated 32kHz watch crystal.
“The most commonly used and lowest cost crystal is a through-hole component,” explains Craig Taylor, Director of Applications and Technical Support. “Embedding the crystal cuts bill of material costs, removes the cumbersome step of inserting and soldering a through-hole crystal (often done by hand), and eliminates the possibility of fatigue on the crystal pins during assembly and handling.”
The FM3135 is designed for use in meters, elapsed time monitors, time-of-use recording, and other data-storage applications that require time-stamping. The high endurance and fast writes of F-RAM combined with an RTC make it ideal for systems that time stamp events.
About the FM3135
The FM3135 combines 64Kb of F-RAM with an RTC that incorporates an alarm and a programmable frequency clock output. The alarm compares user-programmed alarm values to corresponding RTC time/date values, creating an ideal solution for applications such as high-end televisions that boast automatic on/off, channel switch and parental controls, and personal video recorder (PVR) functions. An industry-standard 2-wire bus is used to access the memory and to control the RTC. Available in a 20-pin SOIC package, the FM3135 operates at 2.7 to 3.6 volts over the entire industrial temperature range (-40 degrees Celsius to +85 degrees C).
- Embedded 32 kHz Watch Crystal – This allows designers to surface mount the crystal, eliminating the possibility of fatigue on the crystal pins during assembly operations without having to source and inventory the crystal.
- 8Kx8 F-RAM – 64Kb of true nonvolatile RAM (not battery-backed). F-RAM memory technology replaces SRAM, EEPROM, Flash and other nonvolatile memories since it reads and writes at bus speed with NoDelay(tm) writes, unlimited read/write endurance, and low power.
- Real-Time Clock (RTC) – A timekeeping device that can be battery- or capacitor-backed for permanently powered operation. It offers a software calibration feature for high accuracy, an alarm and a programmable frequency clock output.
- Backup Power – The real-time clock/calendar is intended to be permanently powered. When the primary system power fails, the voltage on the VDD pin will drop. When VDD is less then 2.5V, the RTC will switch to the backup power supply on VBAK. The backup source can be either a battery or capacitor.
- Trickle Charger – Facilitates capacitor backup. The VBAK pin can optionally provide a trickle charge current. Data is nonvolatile so it won’t be lost if the capacitor fails.
About the Processor Companion
The Processor Companion is a highly integrated F-RAM enhanced system management solution that supports virtually any microcontroller- or microprocessor-based design. By integrating nonvolatile F-RAM, individual system features are improved compared with discrete versions, creating a single-chip solution with superior bill-of-material cost and reduced board space.
Pricing and Availability
Samples of the FM3135 are currently available in a 20-pin SOIC package, with pricing starting at $3.20 in 10K quantities.
Ramtron International Corporation, headquartered in Colorado Springs, Colorado, is a fabless semiconductor company that designs, develops and markets specialised semiconductor memory and integrated semiconductor solutions used in a wide range of product applications and markets worldwide.