Trolltech® announced the continued evolution of Qtopia® Phone Edition, the leading application platform and user interface for Linux-based mobile phones. Trolltech is the leader in mobile Linux platforms with more than 10 million devices shipped. With version 4.3, Qtopia Phone Edition affirms its position as the category leader with major improvements in real-world start-up speeds, external benchmarking for compliance with key industry standards, and a range of new features.
The latest generation builds on the proven strengths of the Qtopia architecture, and includes:
- Finger-touch user interface – This release adds a UI theme designed for finger touch operation, with a unique virtual keyboard, and an SDK for the touch-screen “OpenMoko” Neo1973 device.
- Outlook synchronization – The new Qtopia Sync Agent allows data synchronization between Qtopia and Microsoft Outlook.
- Enhanced media support – Qtopia now supports GStreamer as well as Real Networks Helix DNA media frameworks for mobile audio and video. The Qtopia media player is enhanced with a new UI and extended functions, and an audio policy framework is introduced to manage complex audio channels across a range of inputs and outputs.
- Faster start-ups – in real-world testing on a Greenphone, Qtopia 4.3 applications start on average 50% faster than the previous generation.
- Improvements to telephony and SIM Toolkit for GCF (Global Certification Forum) compliance – The Qtopia telephony stack and user interface have undergone further improvements to enhance Qtopia’s compliance with GCF.
“With Qtopia 4.3 Trolltech continues to provide the developer tools to deliver feature-packed phones to market more quickly than ever,” said cofounder and CEO Haavard Nord. “Our end goal is to show consumers that they can expect more from their mobile phone experience.”
About Qtopia 4 Series
Qtopia® 4 Series is the application platform for efficient creation of virtually any type of Linux-based device. Qtopia’s comprehensive product family offers an unmatched flexibility and control for customizing the user experience. Qtopia continues to deliver strategic business advantage by empowering continuous product innovation. In the world of mobile computing, Qtopia was the first commercially available application platform for Linux-based mobile phones. Qtopia is based on Trolltech’s Qt® and enjoys a thriving eco-system of commercial and open source developers complemented by world-class partnerships.
Trolltech provides cross-platform software development frameworks and application platforms. Trolltech’s Qt is used in popular software such as Skype®, Google Earth, Adobe® Photoshop® Elements, Lucasfilm® and by more than 5000 customers worldwide. Trolltech’s Qtopia® has enabled a new generation of exciting consumer devices such as mobile handsets, video-phones, set-top boxes and media players. Trolltech’s software has shipped in more than 10 million devices. Trolltech’s products enable companies to easily build and deploy software across a wide range of operating systems and electronic devices. The company serves desktop and embedded application providers, as well as consumer electronics and mobile vendors, who face challenges in delivering user-friendly and differentiated software. Trolltech enables customers to accelerate innovation, shorten time to market and increase revenues. Trolltech’s software improves the user experience by increasing the appeal and quality of customer’s applications on desktop and devices. The future proof Qt software allows developers to code less, create more and deploy anywhere. Trolltech supports open source and commercial customers. The company has offices in California, U.S.A.; Brisbane, Australia; Beijing, China; Berlin and Munich, Germany; Oslo, Norway. It is listed on the Oslo Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol TROLL.
Trolltech, Qtopia and Qt are registered trademarks of Trolltech ASA.