Fairchild Semiconductor’s (NYSE: FCS) highly integrated Green FPS power switch, the FSFR2100, increases power efficiency and system reliability, and reduces valuable design time in resonant converter designs such as telecom power, high end audio amplifiers, large size laser printers and LCD and PDP TV power supplies. Offering a “system-in-a-package” approach that integrates everything necessary to build reliable and efficient resonant converters, this power switch integrates a pulse-frequency-modulation (PFM) controller with a high voltage gate driver circuit and two fast recovery MOSFETs (FRFET®) along with soft-start, burst operation and important protection features into a thermally-efficient 9-SIP package.
The FSFR2100 features a zero voltage switching (ZVS) technique that dramatically reduces switching losses in MOSFETs and rectifiers. With this technique, this FPS switch can handle up to 200W without a heat sink and up to 450W with a heat sink. Compared to conventional hard-switch converter topologies, efficiency is improved by 10 percent and for applications such as PDP-TVs, efficiency reaches 97 percent. An additional advantage of this ZVS technique is that switching noise is dramatically reduced – at least 5dB compared to hard switching techniques. Offering burst operation function, the FSFR2100 brings standby power consumption below 1 Watt to easily achieve the industry’s 1 Watt Initiative.
Key advantages of the FSFR2100:
- Ease of design
- Integration of two power MOSFETs with fast recovery body diode, a high-side gate drive circuit, an accurate current controlled oscillator, a frequency limit circuit, and soft-start and built-in protection features in one package
- System efficiency
- ZVS technique improves power efficiency by 10 percent up to 97 percent and decreases EMI at least 5dB compared to hard-switch converter topologies
- Burst operation reduces power consumption to below 1W
- System reliability
- Built-in high side drive circuit utilizing a common mode noise canceling technique provides excellent noise immunity
- Fast recovery body diode of the MOSFET minimizes the effect of reverse recovery against abnormal operation condition
- Built-in protections including over voltage protection (OVP), over load protection (OLP), over current protection (OCP), abnormal over current protection (AOCP) and internal thermal shutdown (TSD)
With the addition of the FSFR2100 to Fairchild’s wide portfolio of power switches, Fairchild now has a full selection of integrated power solutions from 1 Watt to 450 Watts. Fairchild offers energy and space efficient solutions for SMPS designs from small-size battery chargers to large-size flat panel TVs.
The FSFR2100 utilizes lead-free (Pb-free) terminals and has been characterized for moisture sensitivity in accordance with the Pb-free reflow requirements of the joint IPC/JEDEC standard J-STD-020. All of Fairchild’s products are designed to meet the requirements of the European Union’s Directive on the restriction of the use of certain substances (RoHS).
Price (each, 1000 pcs): US$ 4.16
Availability: samples available now
Delivery: 12 weeks ARO
About Fairchild Semiconductor
Fairchild Semiconductor (NYSE: FCS) is the global leader in power analog and power discrete technologies delivering energy-efficient solutions for all electronic systems. Recognized as The Power Franchise®, Fairchild provides leading-edge silicon and packaging technologies, manufacturing strength and system expertise. In 2007, Fairchild celebrates its “50/10″ anniversary, commemorating 10 years as a new company and 50 years in the industry. Known as the “Father of Silicon Valley,” Fairchild developed the planar transistor in 1958—and with it a new industry. Today, Fairchild is an application-driven, solution-based semiconductor supplier providing online design tools and design centers worldwide as part of its comprehensive Global Power Resource(SM).