Wavesat announced that Wavesat and IBM are working together on the development of a high performance very power efficient 802.16e WiMAX chipset targeting consumer electronic devices supporting advanced mobile wireless broadband services. As part of the agreement, Wavesat’s UMobile(TM) 802.16e chipset will be manufactured by IBM using advanced eDRAM process technology. By eliminating the need for any external memory, Wavesat’s customers will benefit enormously by saving valuable real estate, cost and power consumption for very small form-factor mobile applications such as wireless dongles, mobile handsets and other consumer electronic devices.
Wavesat’s Mobile chipset also packs in a customized embedded processor built on IBM Power Architecture(TM) technology running at up to 400 MHz, providing the right processing power required for WiMAX Wave 2 profile including MIMO, and enabling high throughput. IBM and Wavesat are also collaborating on innovative power saving techniques such as voltage islands, aimed at lowering chipset power consumption and maximizing power efficiency for different modes of operation.
“This is a landmark announcement for Wavesat and we are very pleased to team up with IBM, the world leader in semiconductor development, for our mobile WiMAX chipset,” said Vijay Dube, President and COO for Wavesat. “IBM will work hand in hand with us to design, manufacture, and jointly market our UMobile(TM) 802.16e chipset to provide our clients with the industry’s best performance, lowest power consumption and most advanced design available.”
“We are pleased to be working with Wavesat to provide 4G mobile WiMAX chipsets targeting consumer electronic devices,” said Richard Busch, director of ASIC Products and Power Architecture Licensing and Cores, IBM Global Engineering Solutions. “This is an excellent opportunity for us to leverage IBM’s ASIC and embedded Power PC technologies coupled with our Design Service capabilities.”
Wavesat has been heavily involved with the development of IEEE 802.16 d/e standards and WiMAX Forum activities, including Plugfests and certification. Wavesat is scheduled to release in Q4 its 802.16e UMobile(TM) family, codenamed Panther, designed to exceed WiMAX Forum Wave 2 certification requirements.
- Very high performance and fully programmable PHY & MAC solution, including smart antenna features such as MIMO 2×2
- Lowest cost solution and footprint in the industry with embedded DRAM in a single package (no external memory required), allowing very easy integration into small form-factor applications
- Very low power consumption at 150 mW in receive mode by using ultra low power DSP technology and enhanced power saving modes
- Highly programmable architecture supporting multimode operation including ODFMA / OFDM / and legacy 802.11a & g
Wavesat is a privately held fabless semiconductor company developing WiMAX chipsets, software and development platforms, enabling OEMs and ODMs to be first to market with high performance and cost effective WiMAX compliant solutions. Featuring the first WiMAX Forum certified CPE design; Wavesat provides solutions for each WiMAX market segment from Fixed to Mobility:
- Fixed (access points, backhaul, DSL extensions) with 802.16-2004 OFDM Evolutive(TM) solutions
- Nomadic & Portable (fixed system to include high-speed connectivity for laptop and portable applications) with 802.16d+ OFDM Evolutive(TM) products
- Full mobility with 802.16e-2005 sOFDMA UMobile(TM) WiBro/WiMAX product family