Wind River Systems, Inc. (NASDAQ: WIND), the global leader in Device Software Optimization (DSO), announced the immediate availability of Wind River On-Chip Debugging for Manufacturing and Test, an innovative standards-based offering that allows test and manufacturing engineers the ability to diagnose hardware problems on the manufacturing floor. This robust new solution enables manufacturing organizations to increase production line throughput, validate and verify finished products more effectively, reduce scrap and rework, and easily create custom test applications for their individual needs. Furthermore, On-Chip Debugging for Manufacturing and Test complements and extends an organization’s existing investment in tools such as boundary scanners, logics analyzers and oscilloscopes.
Unlike competitive offerings in the marketplace today that focus solely on device hardware and software development, the Wind River solution uniquely combines the company’s leadership in on-chip debugging-based development solutions together with specific test and manufacturing tooling and pre-integration with the revolutionary National Instruments (NI) LabVIEW platform and development environment. Specifically, Wind River On-Chip Debugging for Manufacturing and Test includes Wind River ICE and Wind River Probe emulator products, Wind River On-Chip Debugging API and Utility JTAG testing solution, and the NI LabVIEW Virtual Instrument Driver. When used collectively, the solution enables manufacturing organizations:
- To streamline the testing process in manufacturing because the device under test (DUT) does not have to be fully operational
- To shorten the manufacturing debug process through target CPU and memory subsystem analysis and debugging
- To simplify the creation of elaborate test and automation systems, reducing test/manufacturing costs and improving manufacturing cycle time
- To use automated tests that deliver consistent and predictable results
“With the complexity of embedded device manufacturing today, the value in complementing existing production test management plans with on-chip debugging is growing,” said Greg Crouch, Embedded Systems Business Director at National Instruments. “One such trend is the need for solutions that combine flash programming, on-chip software test and verification for device functionality and defect resolution. Many manufacturing organizations need additional capabilities beyond traditional boundary scan test. Through integration with our LabVIEW offering, Wind River On-Chip Debugging extends LabVIEW’s powerful test management capabilities and advanced reporting mechanisms, thus enabling our joint customers to deliver products to market quicker and more efficiently.”
“Wind River recognizes that the increasing complexity of embedded device development spans the entire product development life cycle, including Manufacturing and Test,” said Sandy Orlando, Vice President and General Manager of On-Chip Debugging at Wind River. “Through the use of On-Chip Debugging for Manufacturing and Test, our customers should be able to increase manufacturing throughput by enabling more thorough testing in a shorter amount of time, resulting in the identification and resolution of defects late in the manufacturing process, decreasing scrap inventory, and reducing manufacturing costs. Through our partnership with NI, we enable our joint customers to easily create custom solutions that fit their manufacturing environment needs.”
Wind River On-Chip Debugging for Manufacturing and Test Enhancements
Specific enhancements to the Wind River On-Chip Debugging Utility in this release include:
- Memory Upload Utility – The Memory Upload Utility allows developers to select a specific area of memory on the target and extract data into a file saved in the Host PC file system. This feature allows test and manufacturing engineers to load and run test scripts on their targets, capture the results stored in specific areas of memory and store the results for future reference and analysis.
- Enhanced Virtual Instruments Support: – Wind River has further enhanced the integration of the On-Chip Debugging API with National Instruments LabVIEW through the creation of “Higher-Level” Virtual Instruments (VIs). These new VIs enable LabVIEW users to more easily create their own custom test applications.
Extended Processor Support
Wind River On-Chip Debugging for Manufacturing and Test supports a wide range of processors and architectures. Wind River is expanding its support for multicore devices with the support of the following processors:
- Broadcom Sibyte: BCM1125, 1125H, 1250, 1255, 1280, 1455
- Intel XScale: IOP 342
- Freescale: MPC8641D Rev 2.0
- PA Semi: PA6T-1682M
Additionally, Wind River is continuing its investment in support of the major device software architectures, including:
- ARM: ARM Thumb 2, Cortex M3, and SOCs from Freescale and ATMEL
- CF: SoCs from Freescale
- MIPS: SoCs from Broadcom
- Power: PA Semi PA6T-1682M
- PowerPC: SoCs from Freescale and AMCC
- XScale: SoCs from Intel
Wind River On-Chip Debugging for Manufacturing and Test is available today.
About Wind River
Wind River is the global leader in Device Software Optimization (DSO). Wind River enables companies to develop, run and manage device software faster, better, at lower cost and more reliably. Wind River platforms are pre-integrated, fully standardized, enterprise-wide development solutions. They reduce effort, cost and risk and optimize quality and reliability at all phases of the device software development process, from concept to deployed product. Founded in 1981, Wind River is headquartered in Alameda, California, with operations worldwide. To learn more, call 1-800-872-4977.
The Wind River logo is a trademark of Wind River Systems, Inc., and Wind River and VxWorks are registered trademarks of Wind River Systems.