Enea (Nordic Exchange/Small Cap/ENEA), a world leading provider of network software and services, and Kontron, a leading developer of standard-based, custom embedded and mobile rugged solutions, together announced the IPTV Experience, a global, broad-based industry initiative created to address the major design, technology and business challenges impeding widespread adoption of IPTV. Kicking off this initiative, Enea and Kontron will host during NXTcomm a number of activities including a panel discussion moderated by Steven Hawley from the at Multimedia Research Group (MRG). Participating companies in this panel include Intel Corp and RADVISION.
“Our recent research estimates that there will be 63.6 million IPTV subscribers by 2011, and they will demand the highest Quality of Experience in order to remain loyal,” said Steve Hawley, senior IPTV analyst at MRG. “Industry initiatives like IPTV Experience provide a unified and systemic view of the complex IPTV ecosystem, helping to ensure the highest-quality implementations to support subscriber demands.”
The IPTV Experience initiative provides guidance, information and best-practices for overcoming the major challenges in IPTV delivery:
- High Network Processing Capability Network processing performance is crucial in relieving I/O bottlenecks and managing concurrent data streams efficiently for IPTV. Multi-core processing technology allows network equipment designers to add required performance headroom.
- Proven Standardized Platforms Commercial off-the-shelf solutions allow developers to leverage advanced technology, while remaining focused on core competencies. Open-standards-based platforms enable IPTV interoperability allowing service providers to customize and create value-added services.
- Manageability The ability to manage the network, perform upgrades, service existing equipment and avoid IPTV downtime is more important than ever. With increasing subscriber demands, service providers demand network visibility and management at the blade, module and system levels.
- Scalability To prepare and build a system for change, it is important for service providers to implement technology that is flexible, scalable and easy to upgrade. The need to support emerging technology and provide increased performance, places greater emphasis on hardware adaptability in network deployments.
- High Reliability and Availability In an “always on” environment, IPTV systems must be extremely available and reliable. Network element and application failure negatively impact the QoE. With on-demand content, it is essential that a high availability framework be implemented that supports controlled and managed failover.
- Interactivity With the emerging ability to support High Definition resolutions on decoders, and System-on-Chip integrated decoders, introduction of full interactive video services based on IPTV and IP set-top-box models that go beyond Video on Demand and Electronic Program Guide are becoming a reality. Live interaction between people becomes a springboard for an entirely new paradigm of communication. € Fast Time to Market Widespread adoption of IPTV requires network equipment manufacturers to adopt a standards driven, commercial COTS approach to accelerate development cycles and continue to meet demands.
Because consumers have come to expect a high level of quality through traditional television viewing, the single most important barrier to widespread adoption of IPTV is Quality of Service and maximum QoE. In order to deliver the highest quality IPTV experience to the consumer mainstream faster, technology vendors, equipment manufacturers and service providers must work together to create optimized IPTV solutions that provide superior QoE. The IPTV Experience initiative unites leading technologies and industry expertise to drive IPTV best practices and standards.
Enea (Nordic Exchange/Small Cap/ENEA) is the leading supplier of real-time operating systems, middleware, development tools, database technology and professional services for high-availability systems such as telecommunications infrastructure, mobile devices, medical instrumentation, and automobile control/infotainment. Enea¹s flagship operating system, OSE, is deployed in approximately half of the world¹s 3G mobile phones and base stations. Enea has over 500 employees and is listed on the OMX Nordic Exchange Stockholm.
Kontron designs and manufactures standard-based and custom embedded and mobile rugged solutions for OEMs, systems integrators, and application providers in a variety of markets. Kontron engineering and manufacturing facilities, located throughout Europe, North America, and Asia-Pacific, work together with streamlined global sales and support services to help customers reduce their time-to-market and gain a competitive advantage. Kontron¹s diverse product portfolio includes: Computer-on-Modules, SBCs/blades, open-modular platforms and systems, HMIs, mobile rugged workstations, and custom capabilities. Kontron is a Premier member of the Intel(R) Communications Alliance and was awarded 2006 Intel Member of the Year. The company is a recent three-time VDC Platinum vendor for Embedded Computer Boards. Kontron is listed on the German TecDAX stock exchange under the symbol “KBC”.
About IPTV Experience
The IPTV Experience is a broad-based industry initiative aimed at bringing high quality IPTV to the consumer mainstream faster. The global effort brings together leading companies from the software, hardware and semiconductor industries, each with a specific solution to one or several of the major roadblocks impeding the mass adoption of IPTV. As an alliance, member companies bring a systemic view with an emphasis on off-the-shelf, rapidly deployable solutions to accelerate the roll out of this important new medium.
The IPTV Experience provides a low-risk, world-tested, high performance, carrier class platform on which to build robust IPTV network elements–from media servers to the last mile.