AdaCore, provider of the highest quality Ada tools and support services, announced the availability of GNATbench Version 2.0, a major enhancement to its GNATbench Eclipse-based plug-in, which supports native (standard) Eclipse and Wind River’s Eclipse-based Workbench software development environments. GNATbench Version 2.0 has been upgraded with new capabilities to support Eclipse 3.2, the latest version of the popular open source platform for integrating software tools for application development. The upgrade provides development teams using the Eclipse 3.2 framework with advanced Ada language support and a fully integrated GNAT Pro Ada toolset to facilitate multi-language development, sophisticated editing, browsing, debugging and comprehensive compilation.
GNATbench adds these capabilities and features as a plug-in extension to the standard Eclipse framework, so that no special version of Eclipse is required. Some of the new GNATbench 2.0 features for standard Eclipse include:
- Full Ada perspective is available
- Project “Clean” command is now supported
- Builder Console displays build commands and resulting messages
- Automatic code completion after the dot in unit names or record object names
- Project Navigator automatically refreshes after a build so results can be seen (executables, etc.)
GNATbench also supports large, embedded, real-time applications for Wind River VxWorks platforms used for general commercial and high-reliability/safety-critical industries. GNATbench seamlessly integrates Ada into Wind River’s Eclipse-based Workbench environment to extend the power of Workbench to both all-Ada and mixed-language development.
All GNATbench 2.0 versions for standard Eclipse and Wind River Workbench feature:
- Wizards for creating new projects for Ada
- Enhanced Ada Project Navigator menu entries
- New GNAT knowledgeable project file editor with syntax highlighting
- New toolbar for Ada element creation (new projects, new files)
- Enhanced Ada editor, allowing colour selection for numeric literals
- Support to automatically generate package bodies from package declarations
- Enhanced Import wizard for creation of new Workbench projects from GNAT projects
- New enhanced User’s Guide
“AdaCore continually strives to provide customers with the latest technology available,” said Robert Dewar, President of AdaCore. “AdaCore supports the largest variety of platforms for both native and cross embedded Ada development available today. We have updated our GNATbench plug-in to be even more powerful than before, and upgraded it to Eclipse 3.2. These new capabilities are now available across all of our supported platforms.”
Another important enhancement for GNATbench 2.0 is that Ada-specific semantic analysis is no longer accomplished by a background process running GPS (GNAT Programming Studio). That functionality is now provided via a Shared Library, invoked directly from Eclipse and resulting in enhanced robustness and responsiveness in the user interface.
Pricing and Availability
GNATbench 2.0 is currently available as part of the GNAT Pro subscription. Please contact AdaCore (firstname.lastname@example.org) for the latest information on pricing and supported configurations.
Founded in 1994, AdaCore is the leading provider of commercial software solutions for Ada, a modern programming language designed for large, long-lived applications where reliability, efficiency and safety are critical. AdaCore’s flagship product is GNAT Pro, which comes with expert online support and is available on more platforms than any other Ada technology.
Use of Ada and GNAT Pro continues to grow in high-integrity and safety-critical applications, including commercial and defence aircraft avionics, air traffic control, railroad systems, financial services and medical devices. AdaCore has North American headquarters in New York and European headquarters in Paris.