QUALCOMM Incorporated (Nasdaq: QCOM), a leading developer and innovator of Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA ) and other advanced wireless technologies, introduced the expansion of the QUALCOMM Single-Chip(TM) (QSC(TM)) family to drive down the cost of mobile broadband. The new QSC6085(TM) solution for CDMA2000(R) 1xEV-DO Rev. A will deliver more than ten times the speed of EV-DO Rel. 0 – up to 1.8 Mbps on the reverse link and 3.1 Mbps on the forward link – to support advanced capabilities, rich services, location awareness and the significant growth of user-generated content. The QSC6085 has met with strong support from network operators such as China Unicom, as well as device manufacturers such as SANYO.
“Personal entertainment and user-generated content are the genesis of today’s media revolution, and mobile broadband allows us to be at the forefront of this cultural change,” said Zhengmao Li, vice president of China Unicom. “QUALCOMM’s technology will help us make the latest services available with our upcoming EV-DO Rev. A service launch in Macau.”
“SANYO continually strives to offer the most cutting-edge, compelling handsets with stylish form factors to wireless users around the world,” said Mr. Tetsuhiro Maeda, officer of SANYO Electric Co., Ltd. and vice president of the Personal Mobile Group. “Industry-leading solutions such as the QSC6085 from QUALCOMM allow us to more easily design thinner phones that take advantage of the services enabled by advanced mobile broadband networks.”
“QUALCOMM’s leading levels of integration have long been recognized as driving down the cost of mobile broadband, opening the door to more capabilities while enabling quicker time to market,” said Reiner Klement, senior director of product management for QUALCOMM CDMA Technologies. “By utilizing the fastest CDMA2000 data speeds available today on both the forward and reverse links, the QSC6085 will help drive the fundamental shift of content being generated by the user.”
The QSC6085 solution is pin- and software-compatible with QUALCOMM’s previous-generation QSC products, including the QSC6055(TM), QSC6065(TM) and QSC6075(TM), allowing device manufacturers to leverage existing hardware platforms and software applications for a comprehensive portfolio of handsets across CDMA2000, EV-DO Rel. 0 and EV-DO Rev. A networks. The new QSC6085 features include:
- Support for EV-DO Rev. A with backward compatibility to EV-DO Rel. 0 and CDMA2000
- Equalizer technology for increased EV-DO data throughput
- Powerful GPS location capabilities, including gpsOne(R) multi-mode hybrid assisted GPS technology, enabling a broad variety of location services such as navigation, social, safety and security applications
- Up to 3 megapixel camera support with anti-shake capability
- 15 fps video encode and decode capability
- 72-voice polyphonic ringtones with support for multiple audio codecs
- Multiple technologies to improve network capacity, including QUALCOMM Linear Interference Cancellation (QLIC(TM)) with pilot and traffic cancellation, and Fourth Generation Vocoder(TM) (4GV(TM)), published as the EVRC-B 3GPP2 standard codec, which gives network operators the flexibility to prioritize voice quality or network capacity
- Support for multiple bands, including 800 Mhz, 1900 Mhz and the AWS band (1700/2100 Mhz), with mobile receive diversity
- Cost-effective 65 nm process technology and a 12 mm x 12 mm package size
QUALCOMM’s QSC family integrates baseband modem, multimedia engines, radio transceiver and power management into a single chip to lower R&D, manufacturing and bill-of-materials costs for device manufacturers while accelerating time to market. QSC solutions enable richer functionality in slim, compelling devices with optimized power consumption.
QUALCOMM Incorporated is a leader in developing and delivering innovative digital wireless communications products and services based on CDMA and other advanced technologies. Headquartered in San Diego, Calif., QUALCOMM is included in the S&P 500 Index and is a 2006 FORTUNE 500(R) company traded on The Nasdaq Stock Market(R) under the ticker symbol QCOM.
QUALCOMM and gpsOne are registered trademarks of QUALCOMM Incorporated. QUALCOMM Single-Chip, QSC, QSC6055, QSC6065, QSC6075, QSC6085, QLIC, Fourth Generation Vocoder and 4GVare trademarks of QUALCOMM Incorporated. CDMA2000 is a registered trademark of the Telecommunications Industry Association (TIA USA).