Cypress Semiconductor Corp. (NYSE:CY) introduced the latest member of its PREMIS(TM) (Peak Reducing EMI Solutions) family of spread-spectrum timing solutions. The new CY25400 is the industry’s first 4-PLL (phase-locked loop) timing device with two spread-spectrum PLLs to reduce electro-magnetic emissions (EMI). The new device saves cost by eliminating shielding, ferrite beads and chokes often used to address EMI issues.
The flexible device also offers two-wire I2C programming that allows manufacturers to dynamically adjust EMI reduction variables for real-time determination of optimum system configuration. The new CY25400 meets critical timing performance, voltage and power requirements for digital entertainment systems, handheld applications and consumer electronics systems, including multifunction printers, scanners, HDTV, STB, DVD-R, hard disk drives, handsets and portable games.
“The CY25400 is a strong addition to our PREMIS family, offering a highly flexible, programmable timing solution that gives customers both world class EMI protection and timing performance,” said Wayne Gill, Cypress’s Timing Technology business unit manager. “It delivers a wide array of operating voltage, excellent power consumption and outstanding jitter performance, all housed in a world-class package size. We believe we have provided systems engineers with the ultimate EMI weapon.”
- Programmability – The new device can be programmed via memory and/or a Serial I2C interface. A range of parameters can be programmed, including output frequencies, spread profile (Linear or Lexmark), spread percentages, output drive strength, and crystal load capacitance. Programmability offers fast design time, and reduced inventory costs by allowing a single part to be used in multiple designs.
- Elegant EMI reduction solution – The spread spectrum feature can be turned on or off and tweaked during the design. In addition, Cypress is the only provider to offer the Lexmark profile, which provides maximum EMI reduction.
- Frequency Select – The CY25400 offers three frequency-select pins to allow users to specify up to nine frequency outputs in the range of 3 to 166 MHz, based on application need. This allows customers to use the same device on every platform, easing ordering and record keeping, and reducing risk of excess or bad inventory.
- Low Voltage, Low Power – The device offers four different outputs voltage options – 3.3, 3.0, 2.5 and 1.8V. In addition, the four PLLs are optimized for low power.
- Small Package – Cypress offers the new device in 24-pin QFN package (4×4 mm), 16-pin QFN package (3×3 mm) and 8-pin SOIC package. The QFN package not only saves board space but also offers improved jitter performance.
Price and Availability
Samples of the CY25400 are available now, and full production is expected in May 2007. It is priced between $2.49 and $1.49, depending on quantities.
Cypress delivers high-performance, mixed-signal, programmable solutions that provide customers with rapid time-to-market and exceptional system value. Cypress offerings include the PSoC(R) Programmable System-on-Chip(TM), USB controllers, general-purpose programmable clocks and memories. Cypress also offers wired and wireless connectivity solutions ranging from its WirelessUSB(TM) radio system-on-chip, to West Bridge(TM) and EZ-USB(R) FX2LP controllers that enhance connectivity and performance in multimedia handsets. Cypress serves numerous markets including consumer, computation, data communications, automotive, industrial, and solar power. Cypress trades on the NYSE under the ticker symbol CY.
Cypress and the Cypress logo are registered trademarks of Cypress Semiconductor Corporation.