Freescale Semiconductor is presenting six technology papers at this year’s IEEE International Electron Devices Meeting (IEDM) to be held in San Francisco, Calif., Dec. 10-13. These papers are among approximately 465 technology papers Freescale has presented during 2006 at events including IEDM, Convergence Automotive conference and NSTI Nanotechnology conference.
Each year, IEDM has an Emerging Technologies session during which breakthroughs in important new technologies are presented. This year’s session on Tuesday, Dec. 12 will feature an invited talk from Freescale’s leading experts on MRAM led by Saied Tehrani, director of SmartMOS and MRAM technology for Freescale. The talk, “Status and Outlook of MRAM Memory Technology,” will build on Freescale’s July 2006 announcement of the first commercially-available MRAM part, the MR2A16A 4-Mbit toggle MRAM.
Presenters from Freescale also will discuss process technology pertaining to high-k and multi-gate transistors. These transistors are designed to accelerate a new breed of dramatically smaller, higher performing semiconductors that require less power.
Two of the papers are being presented in partnership with the Crolles2 Alliance, highlighting results of the joint leadership of its members (Freescale, NXP and STMicroelectronics) in advanced semiconductor research at the 65-nm and 45-nm CMOS nodes.
IEDM is held each December, alternating between San Francisco and Washington, D.C. For 52 years it has been the world’s premier forum for the presentation of advances in microelectronic, nanoelectronic and now bioelectronic devices. IEDM presents more leading work in more areas of the field than any other technical conference, encompassing silicon and non-silicon device technology, optoelectronics, MEMS, displays and nanotechnology for electronics applications.
The following is a list of papers being presented at IEDM 2006 involving Freescale:
- Status and Outlook of MRAM Memory Technology (Invited) (IEDM Session 21.6)
- Single Metal Gate on High-k Gate Stack for 45-nm Low Power CMOS (IEDM Session 23.3)
- Crolles2: Comparative Scalability of PVD and CVD TiN on HfO2 as a Metal Gate stack for FDSOI cMOSFETs Down to 25-nm Gate Length and Width (IEDM Session 23.7)
- Crolles2: A Cost-Effective Low Power Platform for the 45-nm Technology Node (IEDM Session 27.4)
- Performance and Variability Comparisons between Multi-Gate FETs and Planar SOI Transistors (IEDM Session 34.2)
- SEMATECH: A Novel Electrode-Induced Strain Engineering for High Performance SOI FinFET utilizing Si (110) Channel for Both N and PMOSFETs (IEDM Session 34.3)
About Freescale Semiconductor
Freescale Semiconductor, Inc. is a global leader in the design and manufacture of embedded semiconductors for the automotive, consumer, industrial, networking and wireless markets. The privately-held company is based in Austin, Texas, and has design, research and development, manufacturing or sales operations in more than 30 countries. Freescale is one of the world’s largest semiconductor companies with sales of $6.2 billion (USD) for the previous four quarters.
Freescale(TM) and the Freescale logo are trademarks of Freescale Semiconductor, Inc.