Wyse Technology, the global leader in thin computing, announce a preview of Windows Embedded CE 6.0 for Wyse thin computers. This preview demonstrates Windows Embedded CE 6.0 running in thin computing environments optimized for security, manageability and ease of deployment.
Windows Embedded CE 6.0 allows Wyse thin computers to run the latest Windows CE-based applications while making it easier to integrate and manage peripherals such as wireless adapters, smart card readers and security solutions.
“We are excited to see that Microsoft has not only redesigned the operating system architecture, but has enhanced peripheral driver support in this version of Windows Embedded CE,” said Tarkan Maner, president of worldwide field operations, Wyse. “This makes it easier to extend network access to both applications and information throughout the entire enterprise.”
Wyse is currently demonstrating Window Embedded CE 6.0 running on the latest Wyse thin computers to select partners and customers. In addition to the standard features of Windows Embedded CE 6.0, Wyse is also demonstrating features required in a thin computing environment, including:
- The latest Microsoft Terminal Services client support (RDP)
- Performance-enhanced Citrix Presentation Server ICA 9.0 client for application virtualization and access infrastructure applications
- Pre-loaded Wyse Device Manager (WDM) software that allows administrators to manage clients at many locations with added security and management functionality
- Pre-installed Altiris Deployment Solution agent that enables customers to create a single client management framework to manage all devices in their environment
- Wireless USB adapter support for thin computing environments, which is a part of Wyse’s non-proprietary strategy to enable Wyse customers to securely connect to the enterprise’s existing wireless infrastructure
- Smart Card PC/SC add-on that allows customers to quickly access applications while maintaining a high level of security
- Legacy Terminal Emulation Support
“The new release of Windows Embedded CE features a redesigned kernel with expanded capacity for up to 32,000 simultaneous processes while remaining true to the features and functionality of previous Windows Embedded CE generations,” said Jane Gilson, director of the Windows Mobile and Embedded Devices Group at Microsoft Corp. “The combination of the new Windows CE 6.0 and Wyse’s market leading thin clients will definitely enhance the user experience and boost the operating system’s functionality with the similar system footprint.”
About Wyse Technology
Wyse Technology is the global leader in thin computing. Wyse and its partners deliver the hardware, infrastructure software, and services that comprise thin computing, allowing people to access the information they need using the applications they want, but with better security, manageability, and at a much lower total cost of ownership than a PC. Thin computing allows CIOs and senior IT professionals to reduce costs, manage risk, and deliver access to information. Wyse partners closely with industry leaders Microsoft, Citrix, VMware, and others to achieve this objective. Wyse is headquartered in San Jose, California, with offices worldwide.