Xilinx, Inc. (Nasdaq: XLNX), the world’s leading programmable logic supplier, today announced it will be demonstrating multiple FPGA-based solutions for the broadcast industry at the International Broadcasting Conference (IBC) in Amsterdam September 8-12, 2006. The Xilinx broadcast team will showcase its FPGA-based applications in the areas of interfaces, connectivity, codecs, and audio/video processing. The company will also demonstrate solutions based on its newest Virtex(TM)-5 FPGA platform, the world’s first 65nm FPGA, which provides the most complete system integration platform available today. System designers and engineers visiting the Xilinx stand will see how this powerful combination of broadcast solutions and leading edge FPGA platforms can maximise productivity and significantly reduce system cost.
Xilinx Booth (Hall 8 – Stand Number 8.219) Demonstrations:
- HD-SDI: Demonstrating support for HD-SDI in the new Virtex-5 family, the Xilinx ML571 Serial Digital Audio and Video Platform supports a wide range of serial digital video formats including: SMPTE292M, SMPTE259M, DVB-ASI and new support for 3Gbps SDI, Dual Link HD-SDI and AES/EBU Audio. Demonstrations will also highlight free reference designs available for these broadcast connectivity standards.
- Video-over-IP: Highlighting the embedded features of the Virtex platform including high speed I/O, Ethernet MACs and high performance processors, the new Video-over-IP reference designs provide a flexible and highly integrated bridge between multiple DVB-ASI streams and Gigabit Ethernet packets.
- AES3 Audio & SRC: Using free reference designs for AES3 interfaces and high quality audio sample rate conversion, this demonstration will show various ways of handling audio streams using Xilinx FPGAs, including embedding and de-embedding audio in SDI streams.
- H.264/AVC Codecs: Featuring two real time codec demonstrations: 4i2i Communications will present an enhanced HD H.264 Baseline Profile encoder, streaming of compressed video over IP to an HD H.264 High Profile decoder. Both the encoder and decoder run on the new Virtex-5 based ADM-XRC-5 platform from Alpha Data. Ateme will demonstrate their new single-chip, H.264 Main Profile encoder for SD video on a PCI platform. Each leverages the high performance features of Virtex series FPGAs and demonstrates high quality results in very small footprints.
- Video Processing: This demonstration highlights the capabilities of Virtex series FPGAs for broadcast quality video processing. Developed in partnership with Image Processing Techniques, new reference designs for scaling, de-interlacing, picture-in-picture and DVE will be shown.
Xilinx technology can also be seen in action elsewhere at IBC 2006 where Xilinx partners will be on hand to discuss FPGA-based broadcast system design:
- 4i2i Communications – Booth #8.219 – H.264/AVC Codecs
- Ateme – Booth #4.378 – H.264/AVC Codecs
- Barco-Silex – Booth #1.139 – JPEG2000 Codecs
- Convergent Design – Booth #7.703 – SD/HD Video Converters
- Electronics & Telecommunications Research Institute – Booth #4.285 – Broadcast Research
- IntoPIX – Booth #8.539 – JPEG2000 Codecs
- MainConcept AG – Booth #2.34 – H.264/AVC Codecs
- MindWay S.r.l. – Booth #10.412 – FPGA Design
- Image Processing Techniques/Omnitek – Booth #6.329 – Video Processing & Test
- Silicon & Software Systems – Booth #M256 – FPGA Design
- Tata Elxsi Limited – Booth #3.108 – FPGA Design