Here are the news headlines that ran on EDA Blog this week:
- WLAN and A-GPS Chipset Market to Explode
The wireless local area network (WLAN) and assisted global positioning system (A-GPS) chipsets market is set for phenomenal growth.
- Video iPod Drives Portable Media Player Market
In-Stat estimates that the worldwide market for true, video-centric PMPs will grow to 5 million units by the end of 2006.
- ON Semiconductor Introduces 18 Power MOSFET Devices
ON Semiconductor introduced 18 new Power MOSFET devices that optimize dc-dc conversion and reduce power losses at critical current levels.
- FireStealth Non-intrusive IEEE 1394b Analyzer
DapTechnology released FireStealth, the world’s first non-intrusive IEEE 1394b Analyzer.
- Samsung Selects Tvia’s CyberPro Processors for Security DVRs
Samsung Electronics has adopted Tvia’s CyberPro 5202 video and graphics display processor across its full range of digital video recorder systems for security and surveillance applications.
- Intel Sells Media and Signaling Business to Eicon Networks
Intel will sell the assets of its media and signaling business to Eicon Networks.
- SpaceDev Receives Hybrid Propulsion Technology Patent
SpaceDev has been issued a United States patent for its hybrid propulsion technology.
- NI Debuts PXI Express Modules and High-Bandwidth Controllers
National Instruments launched the industry’s first data acquisition (DAQ) modules for PXI Express, the NI PXIe-6259 and NI PXIe-6251 M Series modules, which deliver fast analog and digital I/O with up to 250 MB/s dedicated per-slot bandwidth.
- Samsung Develops 3-inch VGA LCD Screen
Samsung Electronics has developed the first three-inch LCD panel with VGA (640 x 480 pixels) resolution that directly meets industry interface standards for digital still cameras.
- NI LabVIEW 8.20 Targets Communications Test
National Instruments rolled out LabVIEW 8.20, the 20th anniversary edition of the LabVIEW graphical system design platform for test, control and embedded system design development.
- BenQ-Siemens SL91 Mobile Phone Gets Touchy with MicroNav Technology
BenQ-Siemens, the sixth largest mobile phone handset manufacturer in the world, has selected Interlink’s patented MicroNav technology to enable the back-lit user touchpad on it’s new SL91 mobile phone.
- Analog Devices Creates Class-D Audio Amplifiers for Portable Electronics
Analog Devices introduced two Class-D audio amplifiers designed to meet the low-power, small size, and growing sound quality requirements of portable electronics.
- Tower Semiconductor Powers Biomorphic 3.0-Megapixel Image Sensor
Tower Semiconductor’s Advanced Photo Diode (APD) process powers a new series of CMOS Image Sensors for Biomorphic Microsystems, a supplier of innovative imaging solutions for the cell phone and PDA markets.
- Sprint, Intel, Motorola, Samsung to Develop Mobile WiMAX Network
Sprint Nextel will develop and deploy the first fourth generation (4G) nationwide broadband mobile network with WiMAX (Worldwide Interoperability for Microwave Access) IEEE 802.16e-2005 technology standard.
- RoboDevelopment Conference and Exposition
The RoboDevelopment Conference and Exposition, an international technical design and development event for personal, service and mobile robotics industry, will be held December 13-14, 2006 at the Santa Clara Convention Center, Santa Clara California.
- Art Pigment Key to Spintronics
Researchers at the University of Washington have demonstrated a material — a mixture of zinc oxide and cobalt first formulated in 1780 as a pigment called cobalt green — that appears capable of operating in more suitable environments and would allow electrons to be manipulated both electrically and magnetically.
- Silicon Wafer Shipments Increase by 4%
Worldwide silicon wafer area shipments increased 4% during the second quarter 2006 when compared to the first quarter 2006 areas shipments according to the SEMI Silicon Manufacturers Group (SMG).
- Home Automation with Voice Recognition
Embedded Automation and One Voice Technologies will add voice recognition capabilities to Embedded Automation’s industry leading mControl home automation software using One Voice’s mceSpeechTools(TM) for Microsoft Windows XP Media Center 2005.
- NEC Expands 8-Bit 78K0S/Kx1+ All Flash Microcontrollers Portfolio
NEC expanded its 8-bit 78K0S/Kx1+ microcontroller (MCU) series to include 10 new devices that complement the company’s all flash portfolio and provide seamless coverage of system requirements for multiple MCU applications.
- More Money for MEMS, Less Money for Nanotech
The amount of money venture capital firms provided to MEMS and Nanotech companies combined in the first half of 2006 was down 15.4% compared to the first half of 2005, according to Bourne Research.
- MtekVision MV9319 Camera Signal Processor
MtekVision introduced the MV9319 5 mega pixel CSP (Camera Signal Processor) with next generation high-speed serial interface.
- Actel’s Flash FPGAs Defeat Attacks by Earth
Actel’s flash-based field-programmable gate arrays (FPGAs) are immune to configuration upsets caused by high-energy neutrons naturally generated in the earth’s atmosphere.
- TI Ships 3 Million Ultra-Low-Power Video Decoders Hikvision
Texas Instruments has shipped 3 million units of its TVP5150AM1 ultra-low-power video decoder to Hikvision, the leading provider of video surveillance products in China.
- Smartphones with 200 Hours of Standby
OEM’s can save a lot of standby time by making an LED blink less frequently.
- IBM Acquires MRO Software
IBM will acquire MRO Software in an all-cash transaction at a price of approximately $740 million, or $25.80 per share.